What gears and from where?

95snake5.0

Sep 30, 2005
Need all your opinions on this since I'm gettting some really bias responses from around here where I live. What gears should I put into my 95 Cobra? Also where should I buy it from? I'm having a proffesional do the install and 50 resto has a complete kit they sell that includes everything you need to get the install done. But responses around here say just to get the ring and pinion and let the mechanic do the rest. What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, we need to know what your plans are first. Are you daily driving the car with a lot of highway miles or are you driving around town streets and going to the strip? Are you running a power adder or NA?

if your opening up the rear end....always replace everything you wouldn't cook half a pizza do the whole job. if its a stick usually go with 3.73's and a auto 4.10's but it really depends on what your plans are...

Plans......well lets put it this way, I bought it 3 years ago with 65K miles and it just turned 67K miles before I put it in storage for the winter. I dont drive it much do to it being a fairly rare car, but I dont take it to the track at all. I just need something extra for when I get a challenge from the camaros and birds on the road.

Plans......well lets put it this way, I bought it 3 years ago with 65K miles and it just turned 67K miles before I put it in storage for the winter. I dont drive it much do to it being a fairly rare car, but I dont take it to the track at all. I just need something extra for when I get a challenge from the camaros and birds on the road.

Sounds like 3.73s would work well in this case.

I bought my gears off ebay from a guy that sold his Mustang before he had a chance to install them.

Also, when I did my gears @ 80k miles I checked all my bearings and they were good. No scoring on the bearing races at all. So, I just put a new pinion bearing (came with the gear deal off ebay) and put all the original shims back to their original locations. No problems at all with the gears 23k miles later.

If you don't want to buy off ebay I have had good success with buyfordracing.com and blueovalindustries.com. Summit Racing has always been good to me as well.

Def go FRPP gears...I did 355s for 2 yrs then swapped to 373s....Both have their good points...

As JJ95GTID mentioned...with your milage you should be good to go...long as things are noise free odds are its fine....I had 62k did the 355s then went to 72k and swapped the 373s in...still on all the OEM stuff...If things look fine on disassy then leave it be......dont throw good parts out unless needed..

I used a White 21 tooth for my 355s...it was right on...I left it in for the 373...im off about 4MPH according to those radar tripods the cops set-up...
Some get the Speed-cal to get the speedo back on the money.....

What speedo gear will I need if I do the 3.73's?

The white 23 tooth gear. Its pretty accurate with the 3.73s. Not so much with 4.10s.

Best method is a Speed Cal electronic device. I believe Dallas Mustang sells them as do a few other vendors.

If you're really ambitious you could replace the T5's internal gear from the stock 8 tooth to a 6 tooth and use the factory yellow 17tooth external with it.

well i have 430's in my 94 bolt on cobra. they were on the car when i bought it with 74k, ive put about 10k on in 2 years. they are awesome on the street, it really makes up for a lot of power against faster cars. the only problem is 1st (no traction), but if you have sticky or bigger tires i would recommend them or at least 410's. it really hasnt affected mileage as much as you would think (i get around 18 in the city), and the power in any gear is well worth in imo.

I have 3.73's and drove 19k miles this year... I wish I had 4:10's half of the time...

So flip a coin, take best 3/5 to choose between 3.73 and 4.10... personally since you drive so little I would go 4.10's...