Engine What in the world is this hole?

Alright, so long story short, I bought a block second hand after I ventilated my last one at VIR. I'm on the process of putting everything back together and found this hole on the driver's side, circled in green. Its stripped out and I'm pretty sure I'll have to drill and tap it to stick a new bolt in. But what is it exactly? I figured it was a coolant drain, but I thought the hole I circled in orange was the coolant drain on the driver's side. All the pictures of blocks I have seen so far dont have this hole. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
20200221_212413.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Not present on stock blocks, but I think the coolant jacket it behind it anyway so I assume another coolant drain

DA9A5F3B-86F1-4D07-A692-4B2E61764414.jpeg
Bit off topic but those fram oil filters are junk. There are plenty youtube vids showing how crappy they are and they drain oil while your car sit. Not to be bossy or
anything. Just trying to help. I personally use Motorcraft filters.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Bit off topic but those fram oil filters are junk. There are plenty youtube vids showing how crappy they are and they drain oil while your car sit. Not to be bossy or
anything. Just trying to help. I personally use Motorcraft filters.

I know. That’s why I’m using one while the engine is on the stand just to keep crap out. I wouldn’t use a good motorcraft filter until I’m ready to run the engine

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Simple test to find out what the hole is for: blow some compressed air into it and see where the air comes out...

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
A genius and simple plan Jrichker.

Wix/Napa Gold are better than Fram or Motorcraft. But it your engines. Please do not use the TP roll filters.
All other oil filters are better than Fram, except for the ones that are simply repainted Frams. Motorcraft is made by Wix or Purolator/Mann-Hummel depending on the application. That's good enough for me to the point that I even run a Motorcraft FL910S on my Toyota. (Well, this oil change it's getting a Napa Gold because I bought Valvoline Synpower there while it was on sale, but it usually runs the 910S).

Reactions: 1 user
Motorcraft and Puralator filter manufacturing quality has varied over the years and application enough that you made a good choice on the last filter with Napa. Motorcraft and Puralator may have had a quality pushes since the last store display we made, and Wix may be overkill for frequent changes in clean environments. It’s just scary how much difference there is when you open them all up. It’s also too bad Fram went so cheap again.