What is max valve lift in 351W with D0OE Heads & Flat Top Pistons?

rdmcalli

Jan 7, 2006
I have a 1978 351W block with D0OE heads. The engine has TRW flat top hypereutectic piston with the factory "eye brow" valve reliefs (NOT fly cut). The valve sizes are stock (1.84 I & 1.54 E) and the heads were upgraded with aftermarket springs, 1.7 roller rockers, screw in studs, guide plates, and mildly ported. I want to know how much valve lift can I safely have?

I am looking at getting a deal on a retrofit roller cam with .541" I & E.

More cam details:
INTAKE: Duration: 265º
EXHAUST: Duration: 265º
INTAKE Opens: -2.0 ATDC Closes: 38.0 ABDC
EXHAUST Opens: 46.0 BBDC Closes: -10.0 BTDC
LOBE SEPERATION 114º
Duration at .050" Intake: 216 Exhaust: 216
LOBE LIFT Intake: .318 Exhaust: .318

Would you guys expect this cam to lope a lot at idle?

Where would its powerband be?

Is it better to stay away from cams with I & E identical specs and get something with a little more on the exhaust verses intake?

• Sponsors (?)

You HAVE to CHECK it with clay! There is a reason all cam manufactures and piston manufactures always say "Piston to Valve Clearance Must be Checked." To many variables in an engine including cam timing that can change clearances with just a few degrees difference.

You HAVE to CHECK it with clay! There is a reason all cam manufactures and piston manufactures always say "Piston to Valve Clearance Must be Checked." To many variables in an engine including cam timing that can change clearances with just a few degrees difference.

Ditto! I dont think that would have a big lope, barely more than stock. I think a stock H.O. (5.0L) cam has about 205* duration at .050".