What Is Needed To Swap Early 302 To Fox 5.0???

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Greetings,
Can someone please list all the things I'd need to do if I want to put a late 80's/early 90's 5.0 in a '73 in place of the stock 302?
The original '73 302 is junk and instead of getting another early 302 long block, how hard would it be to use a 5.0 (w/ roller cam) and use it in the '73?
The plan would be to use an early 302 carb intake.
I know the firing order is different, the timing cover would have to be changed for a mechanical fuel pump or an inline electric pump could be used. I'd also assume that the pan and oil pump would have to be changed to the early 302 type? Finally, I think the clutch pivot from the original block would have to be swapped to the 5.0 to keep the early clutch linkage.

What am I forgetting?

THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you got just about everything. I think the clutch pivot is cast into the engine block. They sell an aftermarket bracket for the 5.0 motors. The oil pump doesn't need to be changed, just the pickup and the pan. Your flywheel wont work unles you reballance it for 50oz imballance, your early motor is a 28oz imballance. You will need to swap the cam gear on your distributor to the late model cam gear otherwise your cam gear will get destroyed by the newer 5.0 cam as it is much harder. The firing order is the same as a 351w motor. You can plug the hole in the 5.0 block for the dip stick and use the early timing cover. You will also need to swap in the cam excentric for the fuel pump. Use the motor mounts for your year car. Change the oil pressure and tempurature sending units to match the gauges in your dash.

I think that covers it.

OK, thanks. I take it from your reply that a long block won't come with a balancer and the 5.0 would need the 50 oz balancer as opposed to the 28 oz that is on the 302, correct?

What about the flywheel - is there any difference there or is it internally balanced (not related to overall engine balance)?

Thanks again.

I was figuring you were going to get the whole motor with the accessory drive/pumps which would come with the ballancer. Were you just going to order a long block from Ford racing or another engine builder ? I think a long block will come with a proper ballancer but I'm not sure.

Did you want to keep the vbelt or go to a serp setup ?

The back story is that my uncle bought a '73 with a toasted 302 w/ 2BBL and 3 speed. He is planning to buy a long block from the local parts store. I suggested that he consider getting the 5.0 instead of the 302 since it has better flowing heads, a roller cam and the one piece rear main oil seal.
I'm pretty sure he'll use the V belt setup along with his '73 intake, carb, exhaust, etc.
I wanted to find out what else he'd need to consider so that there aren't any surprises if he decides to go with the 5.0. I want to make sure it isn't too expensive or a pain in the butt to do the conversion before he goes and buys the engine.

Thanks!

I've never bought one although I would rather rebuild what I have than trust someone else to do it. I think my uncle just wants to get the thing running now and isn't interested in rebuilding the engine. It's been sitting for 30 years and has pretty low compression on a couple of cylinders. I believe it's rebuildable though.

What about Jasper or Edelbrock or the Ford Motorsports long blocks? Are they any better?

The blocks from engine builders are fine. I just wouldn't run a parts store recon. Any racing/performance aftermarket long block will be fantastic.
your correct about parts store blocks ,we put one in a 65 convert ,shook so bad we thought it was going to come apart, opend it up a found rods with three different date castings ,seems they are built with what ever they can find, dont go that rout

Another question - If someone wanted to keep the 5.0 timing cover (and run an electric inline fuel pump), what water pump would fit the 5.0 cover while still using the 302 forward rotating V belt setup (not a reverse rotation water pump like 5.0) ?

2+2GT, Thanks for the info.

A follow up - Can the '73 timing cover be used with the 5.0 timing chain/gears? If I remember correctly, the 5.0 timing set is thinner - so this would work - but no fuel pump cam.

I know this would necessitate putting a cover plate over the mechanical fuel pump opening and plugging the 5.0 dip stick hole too.

Thanks again!