• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

What is the largest Bolt/Nut on a Classic Stang?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pbum5
  • Start date Start date Mar 31, 2005

Pbum5

Member
Oct 27, 2004
515
0
17
Minneapolis, MN
Mar 31, 2005
#1
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #1
Hey all,

I just bought one of those Multi-piece Craftsman tool sets and it came with some large wrenches. I was wondering what size of the Largest Bolt/Nut on a Classic Stang is?
Does anyone know?

Thanks.
 
F

ForceFed70

That's why they call it "dope"
Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
4,818
1
69
BC Canada
Mar 31, 2005
#2
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #2
Hmmm.. good question.

I think the largest I've run across is the crank pully nut for the 351W. Course... you have to use a socket on this one...

There will be very few times you'll need a wrench larger than 1".
 

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
Oct 25, 2001
3,885
1
58
In the Deepest, Darkest, corner of THE CLOSET, whe
Mar 31, 2005
#3
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #3
70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Hmmm.. good question.

I think the largest I've run across is the crank pully nut for the 351W. Course... you have to use a socket on this one...

There will be very few times you'll need a wrench larger than 1".
Click to expand...
Largest nut I've seen in a Classic 'Stang is the one behind the steering wheel, and for that one you'll need a left-handed monkey wrench!
 

jes72mustang

New Member
Mar 31, 2005
224
1
0
S. Central PA
Mar 31, 2005
#4
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #4
I think the largest one I came across so far was the nut on the front of the strut arms on the front suspension. I think it was close to an inch. I used the air rachet on that.
 
R

Ronstang

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
1,294
0
0
Houston Texas
Mar 31, 2005
#5
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #5
The largest bolt is the crankshaft balancer retaining bolt and requires a 15/16 socket to remove. The largest nut is the pitman arm retaining nut and it requires a 1 1/8" socket or wrench on a 65/66 and a 1 3/8" wrench and socket on 67 and up Mustangs.
 

Max Power

Active Member
Jul 31, 2003
1,774
1
36
St Paul
Mar 31, 2005
#6
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #6
The power valve on your Holley is an inch too. Nobody ever thinks of that one....
 

meanroy

Member
Jul 8, 2004
103
0
16
Mar 31, 2005
#7
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #7
big nuts

The Upper control arm shaft is 1-1/4 inch!

But I know what you mean about that nut behind the wheel.

Roy.
 

jadesville

the polarbear conservation corps protects a polarb
20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 8, 2003
2,189
0
47
Gresham, OR
Mar 31, 2005
#8
  • Mar 31, 2005
  • #8
Ronstang said:
The largest bolt is the crankshaft balancer retaining bolt and requires a 15/16 socket to remove. The largest nut is the pitman arm retaining nut and it requires a 1 1/8" socket or wrench on a 65/66 and a 1 3/8" wrench and socket on 67 and up Mustangs.
Click to expand...
Mine was 1 5/16"
 

Pbum5

Member
Oct 27, 2004
515
0
17
Minneapolis, MN
Apr 1, 2005
#9
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #9
thanks all,
I guess I won't need those large open end wrenches for anything on my 67.
 

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,077
12
108
Oregon.
Apr 1, 2005
#10
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #10
most of the bolts are 9/16 or 1/2.

except for the ones mentioned above.

IIRC the bumper mount bolts are 5/8
 

69 Rustang

Member
Jun 9, 2004
307
0
16
Orange County California
Apr 1, 2005
#11
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #11
What a useful thread!!!

How about the nut on the Yoke of the rear pinion? Can't remember the size but it fairly large. Would say that one, the crank, the spindle nuts, and the pitman arm are the largest sizes you will find.

Wow, I am filing this one in my favorites!
 

krash kendall

Active Member
Nov 19, 2004
1,258
0
36
Aldergrove, B.C. Canada
Apr 1, 2005
#12
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #12
Thank you for no jokes like:

The biggest nut is the nut behind the wheel!!

Or:

The biggest nuts are between my ....

You get the drift.
 

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
Oct 25, 2001
3,885
1
58
In the Deepest, Darkest, corner of THE CLOSET, whe
Apr 1, 2005
#13
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #13
krash kendall said:
Thank you for no jokes like:

The biggest nut is the nut behind the wheel!!

Or:

The biggest nuts are between my ....

You get the drift.
Click to expand...
Ummmmm..........did you read this entire thread?
65stanger said:
Largest nut I've seen in a Classic 'Stang is the one behind the steering wheel, and for that one you'll need a left-handed monkey wrench!
Click to expand...
 

302 coupe

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2000
1,952
3
36
Macon, Ga.
Apr 1, 2005
#14
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #14
you're really asking for it Krash
 

krash kendall

Active Member
Nov 19, 2004
1,258
0
36
Aldergrove, B.C. Canada
Apr 1, 2005
#15
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #15
65stanger said:
Ummmmm..........did you read this entire thread?
Click to expand...

I thought I had.

Sorry about that.
 

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
Oct 25, 2001
3,885
1
58
In the Deepest, Darkest, corner of THE CLOSET, whe
Apr 1, 2005
#16
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #16
krash kendall said:
I thought I had.

Sorry about that.
Click to expand...



 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Exhaust manifold to Y-pipe nut & stud dimensions?
  • joeybuddy96
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
158
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Jul 9, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
W
fuel pres reg bolts
  • waxman
  • Dec 2, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
177
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Dec 5, 2025
AeroCoupe
B
water pump installation questions
  • B0udreaux
  • Feb 5, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
38
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 28, 2026
General karthief
O
SOLD FS: 18" FR500 chrome wheels and Toyo tires
  • optionizerSS
  • May 21, 2026
  • Other Classifieds
Replies
1
Views
208
Other Classifieds Jun 2, 2026
optionizerSS
O
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
181
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?