What is the largest Bolt/Nut on a Classic Stang?

Hmmm.. good question.

I think the largest I've run across is the crank pully nut for the 351W. Course... you have to use a socket on this one...

There will be very few times you'll need a wrench larger than 1".
 
70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Hmmm.. good question.

I think the largest I've run across is the crank pully nut for the 351W. Course... you have to use a socket on this one...

There will be very few times you'll need a wrench larger than 1".
Largest nut I've seen in a Classic 'Stang is the one behind the steering wheel, and for that one you'll need a left-handed monkey wrench!;):D
 
The largest bolt is the crankshaft balancer retaining bolt and requires a 15/16 socket to remove. The largest nut is the pitman arm retaining nut and it requires a 1 1/8" socket or wrench on a 65/66 and a 1 3/8" wrench and socket on 67 and up Mustangs.
 
Ronstang said:
The largest bolt is the crankshaft balancer retaining bolt and requires a 15/16 socket to remove. The largest nut is the pitman arm retaining nut and it requires a 1 1/8" socket or wrench on a 65/66 and a 1 3/8" wrench and socket on 67 and up Mustangs.
Mine was 1 5/16"
 
What a useful thread!!!

How about the nut on the Yoke of the rear pinion? Can't remember the size but it fairly large. Would say that one, the crank, the spindle nuts, and the pitman arm are the largest sizes you will find.

Wow, I am filing this one in my favorites! :rolleyes:
 
krash kendall said:
Thank you for no jokes like:

The biggest nut is the nut behind the wheel!!

Or:

The biggest nuts are between my ....

You get the drift.
Ummmmm..........did you read this entire thread?
65stanger said:
Largest nut I've seen in a Classic 'Stang is the one behind the steering wheel, and for that one you'll need a left-handed monkey wrench!;):D