What Is The Purpose Of These Oil Seperators?

• Sponsors (?)

I run oil separators. They are to keep the oil picked up by the PCV system in my blown application, from entering into the intake. Oil in the intake lowers the octane rating of the atomized fuel in the cylinder. It also makes a mess.

If you have oil consumption problems then installing oil separators will not help that. Oil consumption means that oil is getting by a worn or broken set of piston rings, and into the combustion chamber (cylinder).

I would consider replacing the baffle, before installing an oil separator. They should be the same one used in the Explorer intakes, since they both use the same lower. You should still be able to get them new at your dealer I would assume?

And I would consider them necessary for a blown application from a practicallity standpoint. They're cheap to build, so there's really no excuse not to. People have gotten by without them though.

I called my ford dealer, they apparently dont offer the large baffle any more. I called frpp and they said theyd send me one. and then I lost the guys email who was supposed to hook me up even though i fibbed about buying it from them to begin with. I planned on either getting the big baffle somehow or just buying an exploror lower and not worrying about it.

If you have oil consumption problems then installing oil separators will not help that. Oil consumption means that oil is getting by a worn or broken set of piston rings, and into the combustion chamber (cylinder).

An oil separator will actually help in this situation by preventing oil from getting blown into the intake, but it should only be seen as a bandaid though.

An oil separator will actually help in this situation by preventing oil from getting blown into the intake, but it should only be seen as a bandaid though.

That's not exactly true. There are bone stock boosted cars that come from the factory with oil separators on them already. They're intended to help prevent oil getting into the intake through the PCV by catching that oil mist kicked up by the crank and/or cam(s). That's a different circumstance than oil consumption created by excessive blow-by or, rod pin intersection, or oil entering the combustion chamber through the bottom of the piston ring. For the latter 2, no oil separator is going help.

The only portion that oil separators will help with is the oil that's picked up by vacuum on it's way to the intake.

There's other things that someone can do instead of installing a separator. One is to increase the size/volume of the PCV to slow velocity (picking up less oil mist), or installing a windage tray to reduce the amount of atomized oil particles in the crank case to begin with.

I seem to have a similar issue with my cobra intake. The engine only has 10k on it, when i pulled the upper off i had alot of oil in the runners so i pulled the tb and fittings off the upper and cleaned it out i had alot of oil in the upper plenum. i have to do this periodically to keep it clean. i have tried putting a small filter on the valve cover and plugging the tb vac, it seemed to help a little. i to have thought about using a seperator, the car is NA.

I seem to have a similar issue with my cobra intake. The engine only has 10k on it, when i pulled the upper off i had alot of oil in the runners so i pulled the tb and fittings off the upper and cleaned it out i had alot of oil in the upper plenum. i have to do this periodically to keep it clean.
Make sure you keep an eye on your oil level, I hear about guys all the time say that they are using a quart of oil every 100 miles due to the cobra intake oil consumption problems. The problem isnt the cobra intake its the chinese repops that ford racing sells, something to do with pcv vacuum getting past the small baffles on the underside of the lower intake. If you call and complain to ford racing they will give you a song and dance about how those are factory baffles and that might not be the issue, then they will say "were gonna send you a large baffle anyway". This is said to fix the problem. I dont even have mine installed but I dont want to get all that work done so that I can take it all back apart. ya know? btw the vac line you plugged going to the throttle body isnt where the main portion of oil is going, its getting sucked through the pcv in the back of the intake.

The only portion that oil separators will help with is the oil that's picked up by vacuum on it's way to the intake.

That's what I meant. If you have a serious blowby problem and crankcase overpressurization, you could alleviate it and reduce the amount of oil entering the intake in two ways:

1. Remove the PCV valve mesh screen and place an oil separator between the PCV valve and the upper intake plenum.

2. Add a second oil separator between the passenger side valve cover oil filler neck and the intake tube to prevent more oil entering the intake from that side.

Of course these measures won't stop oil getting past worn rings; only an engine rebuild will do that, but you might be able to slow it down.

Well, the oil separator keeps the oil vapor from going into the intake manifold. As stated, it won't correct oil control problems, but it'll keep the oil vapor from coating your intake and killing the octane level of the air/fuel being delivered.

Do a compression and leak down test. Something could be amiss.

--or--

You could be suffering the same problem that a lot folks run into when increasing power in these motors. Too small of a PCV. The oil gets kicked up by the crank, the port for the PCV is so small that the air velocity running through it to the intake is picking up a lot of that oil mist and dumping it in the plenum.

There's a couple of things you can do. Run a separator to reduce the oil getting to the intake or increase the size of the PCV to slow down the air velocity. You do the latter by creating a new path of travel from the driver side valve cover to the intake.

Doubling the volume of the system will cause the velocity to slow down and makes it pick up less of the oil mist.

Do you have a screen installed under your PCV? You can pick up an excessive amount by not having that installed as well.

I went with two methods. I double the size of my PCV system and installed separators on both sides. Granted, I don't pick up much oil in the catchers but every little bit that I do, helps.

I am about to do surgery on her again, she's getting a set of cnc'd gt40 planted on top of her. I dont burn any oil and i have never had to add any oil between changes, i just have an uncanny amount of oil in the plenum. I run a amsoil 5w30 full synthetic.
When i get her torn apart ill look for any scarring or damage on the cylinder walls. Hopefully all is good, but ive been lookin for an excuse to start over a 427 would work out nicely between the fenders.
Ill try a larger pcv i do run the screen under the pcv. thanks

I am about to do surgery on her again, she's getting a set of cnc'd gt40 planted on top of her. I dont burn any oil and i have never had to add any oil between changes, i just have an uncanny amount of oil in the plenum. I run a amsoil 5w30 full synthetic.
When i get her torn apart ill look for any scarring or damage on the cylinder walls. Hopefully all is good, but ive been lookin for an excuse to start over a 427 would work out nicely between the fenders.
Ill try a larger pcv i do run the screen under the pcv. thanks

I seriously doubt that you have an engine problem. You're having the same problem I had once I got the new and improved motor all put together and tried venting all those extra crank case gasses through the same small hole that it went through when the motor was putting down just 190HP to the wheels.

My cuz did all the work for me he is going to a tech school in ohio. He asked me if i needed any head work done so i pulled the heads off a shelf and sent em away. For me it was free work for him it was a grade, the last flow bench sheet he sent said 205 intake and 180 exhaust he measured flow on two ports per head thats with stock valves.