What is tube for?

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hi All,

Looking for some assistance on what this tube is for? The car is all stock. Is this part stock?

I want to upgrade the exhaust, what exhaust do you all recommend for a beefy sound?

I'm in California so the exhaust must meet Smog.

thx

Attachments

• bottom by Trans.jpg
    bottom by Trans.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Sponsors (?)

Helps warm up the cats upon start up, don't really need it if you upgrade the cats to high flow.
Not sure about CA smog though.
I passed CT. emissions multiple times without it and a high flow catted X.

I'm 99% certain that, if the car left the factory with a certain type of emissions system, then it MUST retain a functioning version of the same system in order to be road legal. Any aftermarket components such as a mid-pipe or headers will have to have a CARB EO number in order to be smog legal. I'm also pretty sure that CA has a visual inspection in addition to the sniffer.

This should pass the sniffer and visual inspection. But...
“Technical Note. This BBK product is not legal for use in emission restrictive states”
I would check with BBK for sure on that.

I'm 99% certain that, if the car left the factory with a certain type of emissions system, then it MUST retain a functioning version of the same system in order to be road legal. Any aftermarket components such as a mid-pipe or headers will have to have a CARB EO number in order to be smog legal. I'm also pretty sure that CA has a visual inspection in addition to the sniffer.

Correct.

For CA, the smog pump and plumbing needs to be left intact, even if the high flow cats installed do not technically require it. Given the price of CA-legal h-pipes these days, the OP is better off leaving the stock H-pipe and just doing a cat-back exhaust. They won't miss that extra 5HP.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

Looking for some assistance on what this tube is for? The car is all stock. Is this part stock?

I want to upgrade the exhaust, what exhaust do you all recommend for a beefy sound?

I'm in California so the exhaust must meet Smog.

thx
I put a Bassani stainless steel X-pipe with high flow cats on my ‘86 to replace the stock H-pipe with cats. The Bassani came with the Thermactor tubing just like in your picture.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like its not valid in Kalifornia

1624036324019.png
My understanding is that any replacement/modification to any of the smog-related systems in California must have a CARB number, indicating the component has been tested and the resulting system meets CARB performance requirements. The part you’re looking at may we’ll meet the requirements, but it hasn’t been tested to confirm that, and without the test and resulting CARB number, it’s not legal.

My understanding is that any replacement/modification to any of the smog-related systems in California must have a CARB number, indicating the component has been tested and the resulting system meets CARB performance requirements. The part you’re looking at may we’ll meet the requirements, but it hasn’t been tested to confirm that, and without the test and resulting CARB number, it’s not legal.
damn!

Correct.

For CA, the smog pump and plumbing needs to be left intact, even if the high flow cats installed do not technically require it. Given the price of CA-legal h-pipes these days, the OP is better off leaving the stock H-pipe and just doing a cat-back exhaust. They won't miss that extra 5HP.

DANG!!!!!

Mustang Magnaflow catted x-pipe will add horsepower to your 1987-1993 Mustang and keep you 50 state legal!​

Item #MPE-337338
MPN# 337338

EVERYDAY LOW PRICE: $2,492.00