what kind of cams/heads should I get?

SiahNyde

Dec 3, 2010
Oregon
I'm shopping for heads and cams for my mustang but there's just too much stuff out there. I need some help! What kind of setups are you guys running?
I've got a procharger and built bottom end, supporting fuel mods, etc and made 17 pounds of boost at 6500 but the stock heads and custom cams destroyed themselves as some of you may have read in my "engine siezed" post. I'm leaning towards trickflow heads and either trickflow cams or comp cams, but not sure what to look for as far as cam stats etc... let's get this ball rolling! any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

There is nothing better than TF heads if you can afford them. As far as cams go, Modular Headshop has some nice blower cams.

thanks for the advice, mhs is a bad @ website, i love finding new sites with good parts! I feel like i found a five dollar bill on the ground!

I've got a couple questions still though... what is a good intake/exhaust duration for a centri blower? and on an unrelated note...would shorty headers be a good or bad option for my setup? the headers I have right now prevent any tranny/head/starter work from being done without pulling the engine and since the tranny is still stock I would assume that will be necessary eventually. :hail2:

^ call Nick McKinney or send him an e-mail at MHS. He'll know the exact answer to your cam questions and could probably make good suggestions on what would make the most power.

so, i found a full top end kit through trick flow. it has everything i need saving me alot of time that i would waste piecing the kit together. i can get it for 3,099 shipped. hows that deal sound? the only thing that i was concerned about was the cams being some what stock?

so, i found a full top end kit through trick flow. it has everything i need saving me alot of time that i would waste piecing the kit together. i can get it for 3,099 shipped. hows that deal sound? the only thing that i was concerned about was the cams being some what stock?

Cams are going to give you the biggest gains so going with mild/stock cams would be a waste IMO.

Cams are going to give you the biggest gains so going with mild/stock cams would be a waste IMO.
+1. You can get fully assembled TF heads for $2k. Get more aggressive cams for ~600 and have $400 in your pocket for other odds and ends.