What kind of RWHP/RWTQ from a Stock Explorer Engine?

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
What kind of HP/TQ to the wheels would a Fox with a manual transmission with a stock engine from an Explorer?

I know they can be bought complete for a pretty decent price. I have been thinking of one of these so I can drive my fox again, and build the Dart engine on the side.

• Sponsors (?)

my bro and I both installed an explorer motor into our 86's

his has a tfs 1 cam and gt40 heads, 1.6 rr's,

mine a stock mustang HO cam and 1.7 rr's and a ported explorer intake,

they're othewise built the same....

we're about to dyno it, but from research, expect 260-280ish at the wheels, and that's if you do NOT use that crappy explorer cam....upgrade the cam with at least a ho mustang cam and ho valve springs...we used the tfs valve springs.

my bro and I both installed an explorer motor into our 86's

his has a tfs 1 cam and gt40 heads, 1.6 rr's,

mine a stock mustang HO cam and 1.7 rr's and a ported explorer intake,

they're othewise built the same....

we're about to dyno it, but from research, expect 260-280ish at the wheels, and that's if you do NOT use that crappy explorer cam....upgrade the cam with at least a ho mustang cam and ho valve springs...we used the tfs valve springs.

I didn't realize those Explorer motors made that kind of power with just an HO cam.

I'd be curious to see the dyno numbers once you get them. One of these days I'll be needing a new engine, and that would be a decent option for me. Unfortunately the hyper pistons might not be too great with my SC.