What kind of torque wrench do I need for lug nuts

ximportdriver

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Rancho Cordova
I’m switching wheels and need to buy tools as I have none.

The wheels I am getting will have a black lug nut kit with a key.

What kind of torque wrench do I need? I know it needs to be able to torque down to 150 ft/lb, but what about the socket connector? 1/2” or 1/4 inch?

And would it be inadvisable to use said wrench to remove the lug nuts?

Any recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

Any decent torque wrench in the 25-250 ft/lb range. The torque on your lugs are 150 ft/lbs which puts that right in the middle of the range. Home depot has a good one for around 80 bux but you can also find one cheaper on Amazon. Torque wrenches need to be calibrated every couple of years. In the aircraft industry they are recalibrated every 90 to 120 days.

If you purchase a torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft/lbs you are doing it wrong. :)

Any decent torque wrench in the 25-250 ft/lb range. The torque on your lugs are 150 ft/lbs which puts that right in the middle of the range. Home depot has a good one for around 80 bux but you can also find one cheaper on Amazon. Torque wrenches need to be calibrated every couple of years. In the aircraft industry they are recalibrated every 90 to 120 days.

If you purchase a torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft/lbs you are doing it wrong. :)
Perfect, I got a 1/2” drive wrench up to 250 ft/lb.

So, are the keys on the lug nuts 1/2” or something else?

The lugs are Metric, Bolt Size: M14X1.5 , Torque: 150 LbFt (204Nm)

The lug if they are keyed, will have their own socket if not, standard 1/2 in metric sockets will do.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe they are 21 mm, and since no one else mentioned it, DO NOT use the torque wrench to loosen the lug nuts. You can damage it by trying to break them loose. Also a click type torque wrench is most accurate in the middle of its operating range, so since the desired torque is 150, a range of 50 to 250 would be ideal. I have a 25 year old MAC torque wrench that is perfect for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well, the key appears to be 13/16 for an impact driver. Off to the store I go...

C2FDF16C-4AD4-4075-98F2-76EB380E19EA.jpeg

The standard for lug nut sizes are 3/4" and 13/16" in S.A.E. and the metric equivalent is 19 mm and 21 mm. Your new wheels may use a 13/16" but a 21 mm will fit. Use whatever size fits better and is not too loose. If you are too loose you can round off the corners of the lug nut.