What oil pan gasket on Canton oil pan??

I got a new canton oil pan and in the instructions it told me I should use a 4 pc oil pan gasket to prevent leaks vs. one piece gaskets.... now Im not saying they dont know what they are talking about, its just I prefer to use a 1 piece rubber/steel cored gasket.

Anyone running a 1 piece gasket on a canton pan without leaks???
Anyone with leaks in a canton pan ever??? Let me know I apreciate it. I plan on sealing it this weekend so I apreciate anyones input. THANKS

• Sponsors (?)

Need Help Too!

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I have similar questions.

I was told that a FMS 1-piece would work just fine, but am finding that the rib in the lip of the Canton oil pan will most certainly interfere with the 1-pc gasket.

See picture below. I've done a mock-up with the timing cover in place, and it does not seal.

What do you make of this issue? I am convinced that I will have a leak, if I install it. Thinking I should just go with a 4-piece gasket.

I just want to do it right the first time, and appreciate any advice.

OilPanGasketQuestion.JPG

-Harold Jones
1988 Ford Mustang Coupe ( 347W)

well I used the exact same gasket - the Ford Racing 1 piece on my Canton 15-620 pan.No problems and no leaks. I used it after everyone told me not to use the 4 piece and also told by a mustang shop to use it as well. The gasket should be gooved to seat right over top of the rib. I installed a minor amount of silicone at the mains and that's it. No leaks and works flawless!

Help

Cobra912,

Thanks for the reply; yep...heard the exact same thing too.

The thing is that the groove in the FMS gasket is on the top-side and is smooth on the bottom side (where it needs to fit onto that rib in the Canton oil pan).

I don't know if that makes sense, but you can see in my picture there is a nice groove in the gasket on the top-side where it will fit into the timing cover. If almost seems like I should have flipped the gasket over so that the groove would fit on top of that rib in the oil pan, but I know that won't work either.

I am positively stumped. I'm not sure what to think.

I thought about picking up a Fel-pro 4-piece kit at a local parts shop, but don't know if the rubber end piece will be grooved on top, bottom, or both. I figure I will drop the oil pan, install the timing cover, and then sort it out from there.

Thanks for the reply; good to hear that it really should work just fine. I'll take another look at it.

-Harold

Update.

Well, for anyone following my saga...new info below.

I took off the oil-pan, and installed the timing cover and water pump...should have done it first to start with.

I tried to re-install the oil pan with that FMS 1-piece gasket, but it is definitely interfering with the raised-rib shown in my photo above. I had hoped I could get the gasket to compress enough to seal up the oil pan, but I can see daylight between the oilpan, gasket, and engine block near the front of the motor.

I guess I will call Canton Tech Support tomorrow to see what they recommend. I know they sell a 4-piece kit for about $10...just seems lame that a more expensive 1-piece gasket can't/won't work. I just want to do it right the first time and not have any leaks once I get the motor in the car. I had gotten lots of recommendations on that 1-piece gasket...dunno though.

Anyone been down this road before? Any thoughts?

Thx,
Harold