What should a gear swap cost???

Husky44

10 Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Tacoma, WA
I'm running the factory 95 GT rearend (3.08s?), and don't like them when I get on it.

I also need to replace rear axle bearings. Soooo, I'm thinking, hey, maybe I just do a 3.73 swap, and have them replace the bearings while they're in there (it'd almost be like getting the bearings replaced for free, right)???

So, what should I expect to spend for a 3.73 gearset?

• Sponsors (?)

I may be wrong but I think the 3.08s were on the 96 and up cars. Not one hundred percent positive. I know I have 2.73s in my car and theyre not exactly the epitomy of performance. I bought my 3.73 gearset off of Ebay for 50 dollars from a local person. If youre buying new, a lot of people recommend Ford Racing. Ford Racing have been noteably easier installs. Either way you go, if you shop around you can find them decently priced. I want to say average prices vary from 140 - 200 but its been a while since I searched. The ones I bought are sitting in storage because I never have time to work on my own car. :rolleyes:

might as well do the bearings to. Most gear installs cost around $150 to $200 for a good price not including the gears. Yours will be a little bit more since they are doing the bearings but as stated call around and see what you get for prices. When you start hearing $500 and $800 laugh in their face and walk away.

If you buy all the parts and just have them do it, I think the "book" says it will take either 5 or 6 hours, so plan on that. Whatever your mechanic's hourly rate is, usually 65-75, times 6, so around 350 bucks for the install if you bring all the parts and everything is right there. He might tack on an extra hour or so for the rebuild (which is a very good idea).

Adam

I work for a shop that does gear installs, the #1 most important thing you can do is find a quality place to get the work done. You dont want to find out you went to the wrong place, because that will most likely happen on the side of the road somewhere. So shop for price but also see if you can get some history on the installer, like if you have a buddy that goes there, or a good referral, or something. Pricing should be simple, including Motive gears, master install kit, with outer axle bearings and seals, including gear oil, and installation of everything, my shop builds 8.8's for $618.29 and comes with a standard 90 day warranty on labor, lifetime warranty on the ring and pinion. Not too many places are going to offer you warranties, but the pricing should be about right. Also keep in mind that if you 'carry in' your parts, most shops will not want to give you any love on the cost of installation, but if you make a "package deal" including parts and labor, you will get a better deal every time. buyfordracing.com has the FRPP ring and pinion for $150.00,
saving the $9 would cost you about $50-$100 more in labor carrying in your parts,
not because we dont like you, but you have eliminated the ability to make any profit on the ring and pinion, so the shop is doing the same work but making less profit, so the answer is to hike up the labor rate a bit to make up the difference in the profit lost. Industry standard from what I have seen, typically among the quality places that you want to go, the cheap-o place probably wont be any different.
since I know its a question here's the breakdown:
G/G35-2013 1 1 0 0.00 70.990 70.99 (MASTER KIT)
MOTF888373 1 1 0 0.00 159.990 159.99 (R&P)
SHO4-1026 1 1 0 200.00 0.000 200.00 (INSTALL)
GEAR OIL (One Per Axle) 16.00
OIL DISPOSAL FEE 2.50
G/G30-9006 2 2 0 0.00 25.990 51.98 (OUTER BEARINGSAND SEALS)
SHO4-1026-1 2 2 0 80.00 0.000 80.00 (INSTALL OF OUTER BEARINGS AND SEALS)
LUBES/CLEANERS/HDW 12.50 (CLEANERS ETC. FOR CLEANING OUT HOUSING)
(this price also includes CA sales tax, so factor out 7.75%($25.00) and fill in your own tax rate!!!!)
Hope this helps!!!
ALSO DON'T FORGET, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE A HIGH SPEED DRIVELINE VIBRATION WHEN YOU GO FROM A 2.73 TO A 3.73 YOU WILL NEED A DRIVESHAFT TO GET RID OF IT!

Good call. And if you've got some healthy mods planned for the future do the 31 spline upgrade, the axles are pretty inexpensive from superior ($275) and carriers are available from many manufacturers like eaton, auburn, or even the factory Cobra is 31 spline. Plus install of these items does not add anything on to the regular ring and pinion install, you dont need the outer bearings and seals for your 28 spline axles (saves $50) should put you right around $1250.00 for all the parts with installation at a reputable location if you buy all new stuff.

If you're going to do gears...I'd suggest doing bearings and seals while you're at it. Most reputable shops will charge you between 6-800 for the install (including parts). I've seen some that go up to 999.99 for everything including oil and friction modifier.

and brewtus has it right. Most shops will hike the labor rate if you bring your own parts. Most places will mark parts up to make a profit off them. A lot of people think that's shady but that's pretty much standard. I was talking to a fellow that works at another local shop and they mark all their parts up by 100%. Also, I don't think I know of any shop that will offer a warranty with parts you brought in. We offer 3 month/3000 mile on all our work IF we are the ones to get the part.

by the books, labor time IIRC is at 6 hours.

Thanks all. Great, incredibly detailed info!!! Man I love this place.

I talked to the local shop (only one I know of here with any credibility). They're at around $900 for the ring and pinion, bearings and seals, other hardware, fluids, etc, and 6 hours labor (at $95/hour).

Seems in line with what you guys have said, except for the labor rate. Unfortunately, that's pretty standard up here.

More than I'm ready to spend right now though. Guess I'll sit on it til winter; maybe do the bearings myself. I don't really need new gears...:(

Thanks all. Great, incredibly detailed info!!! Man I love this place.

I talked to the local shop (only one I know of here with any credibility). They're at around $900 for the ring and pinion, bearings and seals, other hardware, fluids, etc, and 6 hours labor (at $95/hour).

Seems in line with what you guys have said, except for the labor rate. Unfortunately, that's pretty standard up here.

More than I'm ready to spend right now though. Guess I'll sit on it til winter; maybe do the bearings myself. I don't really need new gears...:(

$900 sounds little too high no?

A little off topic but i was the dummy who did the gears without a new or rebuilt trac-loc... so my question is does everything have to come out to put a new trac-loc in? Is an eaton posi better than a ford replacement?

Well, I wouldnt say dummy, you would be surprised at how many people have no idea what is happening in there. To answer your question, basically yes, everything comes apart again, but, since you're only changing the carrier, none of the shims change, when you remove the carrier, as long as the case shims are installed in the same positions as removed, no "set up" will be necessary. I would double check pattern and backlash, but you shouldnt need to adjust anything. Your second question is matter of opinion, a lot of guys like Ford stuff, I like aftermarket stuff, I have run both, and they both operate basically in the same fasion. The Eaton I have now is an awesome unit, and I wouldnt run anything else, it is really quick but with very smooth operation.
Also this is the same "Eaton" that makes Ford motor company's superchargers, factory limited slips(yes, you have one right now!), and they also own Trac-Tech, who makes the Detroit Locker. Like I said though, matter of opinion, oh, matter of how much you want to spend too.