What Should I Do Next? Heads & Cam Or Blower?

I've got an 86 Capri, AOD car, an old GT40 351W Ford Motorsport crate engine,and a demon 750 4V. It's a 12.70's car on the engine, 11.70's on the bottle. I'm looking at doing some work to the engine this spring but I'm not sure what direction to go. Or maybe not even sure if I should bother with any engine work in the first place. It was a really fast car when I put it together 20 years ago, but really is pretty average today. Ive got about a $3500 budget. Here is what I was thinking about -

Option 1: Replace the old cast iron gt40 heads with a set of 205's that I think would really help wake up the engine. At the same time, replace the standard hydraulic cam with a roller cam matches to the new heads.

Option 2: Supercharger set up like the kind made by torq storm and a blower roller cam. http://www.torqstorm.com/ford_351_windsor_supercharger_kit.html

Option 3: Nothing and buy more guns.

What do you guys think? Or do I have other options I'm not thinking of?

• Sponsors (?)

Don't knkow much about the supercharger you listed, but I too vote for option 1. A well matched cam with those heads and possibly an intake could easily add close to a 100hp.

Joe

Option 1- Some TFS 205cc 11r heads,good custom roller,Ported Intake,good marching headers and you’ll easily see 100hp. Should be good for 11.xx et on motor alone imo

Reactions: 1 user
I would say yes, depending on supporting parts of course.
I am not an expert on head technology, I'm kind of a street guy, low buck gotta be fun and dependable.
I do know the cast of supporting parts plays a big part in any build. Head, cam, intake and exhaust plus other stuff have to work together to get the desired result.
But you already know this.

I like option 3. A used s trim pullied and tuned if you can get it under 2000, 500 for a decent dyno tune and chip(225).

I’m not the smartest guy, but I’m not sure 205s would be a better option over a smaller aluminum head on a 351.

What are your goals? Make the car more fun? Spend some time and money on an old project you are hoping will bring something more to your life? I’ve made that mistake before myself so I understand.

Have fun man, I still believe option 3 would be best even though we are on a mustang forum
You bring up a good point - final goal. I know that in some ways I'm like the old guy still working on a flathead in the 1970's. LS, and coyote engines etc make a ton of horsepower pretty easy. But I've had this car since 86 and I'm resistant to selling it, so I guess I'm looking for something to keep it on par with new modded cars (at least in a straight line) .

Reactions: 1 user
I’m all for forced induction. Let me point a few things out though. You’re carbed correct? That means you have to modify your carb for blower use=$. You have to buy a good blower not an S trim (would work but with the 351 motor you are capable of a lot more than the s trim can supply). At least a T trim imo. Don’t know your particular fuel system in use now but I imagine you will need to address it as well to support a blower. The heads will still hold you back unless you are going to use a lot of boost. More boost is like more nitrous...you have to pay attention to the tune or you’re going to destroy stuff.

If you are going to buy heads DO NOT buy less than a 195cc head!! You are not running a 302. Size the heads properly! 205’s would work well. Just size your induction,exhaust and cam appropriately. You easily can see 450rwhp(over 500 at the crank) if done right. You also would have a good head if you decide to add more cubic inches(stroker kit etc) or forced induction at a latter date.

Your car with the proper suspension,tire,chassis work,transmission and the above motor would easily see low 11’s and throw a small nitrous shot...possibly high 9’s and easily 10.xx ets. This out of a more than streetable combo of parts. There isn’t very many modern cars that are going to keep up. You have to remember you only have to be within about 50-75 hp to what those cars make. They put weigh you by a lot.

Making power isn’t an issue. It’s just how ever you want to skin that cat. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Reactions: 3 users
Now that Ed's here, just give your money to him and he'll set you up.

From the title, I thought I'd lean toward the blower, but in this case, I've gotta side with A5LiterMan. GT40s have no business on a 351W in this era. The carb comment was a great observation. You already have the nitrous kit to reuse, anyways. 11R205s would do the job or AFR 205s or 225s if you can find a deal on them. Build around that and 450+rwhp should be straight forward. Spray on top of that and... very fast, very fun.

Reactions: 2 users