What size exhaust: 01 Cobra?

• Sponsors (?)

did the 03/04 cobras fair any better? I'm looking for a cheap, quiet (I'm over my flowmasters) cat-back exhaust to go with the IRS in my thunderbird; will be modded to bolt up to my current 2.5" h-pipe...

People say the stock stuff is 2.25". I beg to differ. I just picked up a 2003 GT from a friend. He gave me the stock exhaust in case I wanna change it back. That pipe measures 1-7/8". That is one restrictive exhaust system.

I've seen stock 2V PI cars make 211-216RWHP. With only a mid pipe and catback....and NO tune I've seen them make around 240-250RWHP.

I went from 2.5 Stinger to 3" MAC and picked up 6 rwhp.

3" is fine on a supercharged Cobra. I'm still running 2.5" on my 04. My exhaust tips are like 3-1/2" though. :rlaugh: That is about the last 8 inches of the tailpipd.

3.0" is a bit overkill on a n/a GT or n/a 96-01 Cobra though. 2.5" is the best size to go with on those models.

did the 03/04 cobras fair any better? I'm looking for a cheap, quiet (I'm over my flowmasters) cat-back exhaust to go with the IRS in my thunderbird; will be modded to bolt up to my current 2.5" h-pipe...

Might want to look into a Dynomax Super Turbo or Quiet Flow set up if cheap and quiet are your two main priorities. If you don't mind spending some money, looking into what Borla has to offer would be worth while as well. I went with a custom Magnaflow set up on my '96 Cougar looking for the same results and although it provides plenty of flow, it's anything but quiet.

There are vids highlighted in blue above the horsepower figures in my signature, if you want to hear what it sounds like both on the dyno and going down the track for comparison.

The exhaust consists of Kooks 1 5/8 mid length headers, 2-high flow cats, 1 dual in, dual out Magnaflow resonator and two mufflers out back. With all that on the system, you'd think it would be damn near silent....but its not. :(

Might want to look into a Dynomax Super Turbo or Quiet Flow set up if cheap and quiet are your two main priorities.

Dyno Max Super Turbo's are super quiet. I had them on my 96 Cobra. I ordered them for my 04 Cobra through Summit, and found out they do not make a Super Turbo 2-1/2" muffler for an IRS car. The inlet/outlets are wrong. If you want a Dyno Max, they told me I must go with a Race Magnum in a 3". I did not, so I just returned them. I was pist, because my 04 is pretty damn loud.

Dyno Max Super Turbo's are super quiet. I had them on my 96 Cobra. I ordered them for my 04 Cobra through Summit, and found out they do not make a Super Turbo 2-1/2" muffler for an IRS car. The inlet/outlets are wrong. If you want a Dyno Max, they told me I must go with a Race Magnum in a 3". I did not, so I just returned them. I was pist, because my 04 is pretty damn loud.

Yeah, the Mustang IRS mufflers need inlet and outlet ends on the same side, unlike having them on opposite sides like the GT.

If the O/P above is using them for his T-Bird though (which I'll assum is an '89-'97 since it has IRS) then he needs a muffler with an offset on one side and center on the other.

...in which case the Dynomax Turbo 17733 C/O with 2 1/2" diameter at both ends will be what he's looking for. You could probably make in work for your Cobra as well, but you'd have to do a little cutting and pipe extending to make it work.
Not sure if you'd be up for that though? :shrug:

They do make Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers for your car, but only in 3" diameter...which would in turn require you to neck down the exhaust pipe and probably increase sound a little. PN 17232. In any case, I'm sure they'd be much quieter than the Race Magnums?

This is where I usually get my exhaust stuff from Exhaust Mufflers, Car Mufflers, Performance Mufflers, Thrush Mufflers

...I also hear MRaburn is trying to clear some stuff out of the Stangnet store you might get a great deal on. I think his stuff is limited to Mac and Magnaflow though?

Yeah, the Mustang IRS mufflers need inlet and outlet ends on the same side, unlike having them on opposite sides like the GT.

If the O/P above is using them for his T-Bird though (which I'll assum is an '89-'97 since it has IRS) then he needs a muffler with an offset on one side and center on the other.

...in which case the Dynomax Turbo 17733 C/O with 2 1/2" diameter at both ends will be what he's looking for. You could probably make in work for your Cobra as well, but you'd have to do a little cutting and pipe extending to make it work.
Not sure if you'd be up for that though? :shrug:

They do make Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers for your car, but only in 3" diameter...which would in turn require you to neck down the exhaust pipe and probably increase sound a little. PN 17232. In any case, I'm sure they'd be much quieter than the Race Magnums?

They were Ultra Flows I meant. I don't know where the hell I got the word "Race Magnum" from. I don't want to spend money on mufflers I've never heard, nor go up in diameter. I would hate to throw $100 at it, then mess with it for a few hours to find out they are just as loud or louder....:rlaugh: That would suck.

I'll look at that site you gave me right now.

I think he's under the impression that since both cars use IRS set ups, that they must have similar exhaust sytems....which they do not. Not even close really.
Negative, his T-bird is completely different from yours as well. That is a Fox chassis with a solid rear axle.

Any exhaust for the SVO will fit it. Here is a place that has the whole system with a 3" down/mid pipe and a dual 2.5" cat back all for $300 brand new. :nice:
STINGER PERFORMANCE PARTS - 2.3 Turbo Performance Parts for Mustang SVO, Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, Merkur XR4Ti, Pinto, Ranger, and Sand Rails

Negative, his T-bird is completely different from yours as well. That is a Fox chassis with a solid rear axle.

Any exhaust for the SVO will fit it. Here is a place that has the whole system with a 3" down/mid pipe and a dual 2.5" cat back all for $300 brand new. :nice:
STINGER PERFORMANCE PARTS - 2.3 Turbo Performance Parts for Mustang SVO, Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, Merkur XR4Ti, Pinto, Ranger, and Sand Rails

Well, he's either got an MN12 (since he quoted having an IRS rear end), or he's done a late model IRS rear end swap to a Fox body Bird

So...if he in fact does have a Fox body T-Bird (which based on his avatar he might), then it stands to reason the Cobra cat back may work as well...with a few tweeks to lengthen it and shorten it it spots here and there because of the T-Birds longer wheel base.