What starters are u guys running on 10+:1 compression motors?

• Sponsors (?)

Wow...thats pricey. I Run a stock remanufactured Bosch one from the local auto parts store. It's got a lifetime warranty and I still have the recipt (although I havent needed it yet...I've had it two years). I payed a little over 100 bux for it...maybe less after getting my core charge back. Oh...and I'm running a 10.8:1 comp ratio. From what I hear...our stock starters have a 4.4:1 gear reduction (for more torque) and that is the highest ratio you can get so all these aftermarket starters cant be much more powerful. However they may look fancier and may be lighter.:D

go-stang5.0 said:
Wow...thats pricey. I Run a stock remanufactured Bosch one from the local auto parts store. It's got a lifetime warranty and I still have the recipt (although I havent needed it yet...I've had it two years). I payed a little over 100 bux for it...maybe less after getting my core charge back. Oh...and I'm running a 10.8:1 comp ratio. From what I hear...our stock starters have a 4.4:1 gear reduction (for more torque) and that is the highest ratio you can get so all these aftermarket starters cant be much more powerful. However they may look fancier and may be lighter.:D

Thats one i have...although i dont know if i still have the receipt. I always wondered how our stock starters compared to these aftermarket pieces. Anyone know the exact specs? The one i have is only 1-1500 miles old...so its still pratically brand new. I just didnt want to use it, to have it fail and have to climb back under the car for a starter. :bang:

Nate

Just thinking out loud here and I don't know for sure but

A stock Stang is around 9 to 1 IIRC.

Just one more point ain't gonna make a more powerful starter a thing one just has to have .................. IS IT? :shrug:

Grady

I wouldent worry about it...I got 10 k miles on mine and I've used the car to deliver pizzas once or twice..and thats a constant on/off situation. The only problem I have is that when the car is really hot the starter sometimes does not like to crank over (it odes it slowly)...but it did that with the original ford one also. ANd I had the same problem on my old 306 which had a 9.4:1ish compression ratio. I dunno if its a weird problem my car has or stock type starter related. However it's doing the same thing with 2 different motors so I dont think the problem is starter related. Maybe its cuz of the long a$$ 2 gauge wire from my battery in my trunk to the kill switch on the rear bumper and then to the starter? Either way, I think the stock starter is just fine.

final5-0 said:
Nate

Just one more point ain't gonna make a more powerful starter a thing one just has to have .................. IS IT? :shrug:

Grady

Thats true. Guess i'll put the cash towards something else for now:nice:

My stock starter worked great until I actually drove the car. I think the heat killed it because it would start just fine when it was cold but would barely crank when it was hot. The Powermaster starter cranks the same no matter what.

Edit, I had 163K miles with the stock starter. I don't know how a new one would hold up, but it sounds like it might be allright...

I have always heard our starters were pretty robust.

Don't know if that kinda talk is from a comparison to the Fox or not.

Anyway, this thread looks similar to others I've seen.

I've not seen too much negative stuff about our starters and if you think about it, that would have to include quite a lot of starters that have been surrounded by LT's.

Grady

low-5.0...you stock starter problem sounds just like my current problem. I thought it might be heat soaking so I covered it with those heat shielding wraps you can buy from DSI (I think thats the brand). Anyways, that did not help at all. I may think about an aftermarket one if this one goes. But man I would be pissed if that one did the same thing. Oh well gotta gamble sometime.

final5-0 said:
Nate

Grady

It certainly could, but it's never that simple of course. A lot of guys run enough additional overlap on the cam to nullify any static compression ratio increase from smaller chambered heads. Heat soak is the leading cause of death of starters on performance engines IMHO, rather than compression. If you keep longtubes from burning up your starter, we're probably good.

go-stang5.0 said:
low-5.0...you stock starter problem sounds just like my current problem. I thought it might be heat soaking so I covered it with those heat shielding wraps you can buy from DSI (I think thats the brand). Anyways, that did not help at all. I may think about an aftermarket one if this one goes. But man I would be pissed if that one did the same thing. Oh well gotta gamble sometime.

I had the heat shield on mine too for a while. My stock starter died on the 2 1/2 mile drive to my house from my uncle's garage. I have about 500 miles so far with the new starter and no problems at all with it.

Wait, I did have the same problem after a while where it wouldn't start when it was hot. I fixed that by running a 0/2 power wire directly from the battery to starter and also ran a 4ga ground wire directly to the starter. That fixed all my starting problems. :)

That's a good point Mike. It pays to put a VOM on the starter when in doubt. I've lost a few starters to voltage drop from truck mounted batteries too. Combine a trunk mount with a set of poorly fitting headers that warm up the starter and you got real trouble. It can be deceptive, because sometimes a bad trunk install will crank over just fine when the starter is cool.