What suspension upgrades for $1500-$2000?

Scot_94GT

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2002
Spring Lake Park, MN
Right now my car has all stock suspension components. I want to make my car handle really well, but I kinda want some type of easily adjustable suspension, so I can have a relatively soft ride for daily driving, yet make it stiff as hell with little to no body roll when I AutoX it on weekends. I really don't want to spend more than $1500, since I'd like to have some left over for a Cobra brake upgrade or something later on.

Are coil-over's the way to go? Are they adjustable like some struts I see? What do I need to make sure my steering geometry is set up correctly. I really don't know crap about suspension, so even the most elementary stuff will probbably help me out.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

Check out Maximum Motorsports. They have several suspension Kits. They aren't necessarily cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for in quality, durability, and performance. I'm putting together the Road & Track Kit plus a couple more items.

Daily driver? No problems here, but my shocks (Bilsteins) aren't adjustable, so you could easily go with another brand.

MM knows their stuff and there is something to be said about putting a suspension together from a single company who has tested hundreds of suspension combinations. I wouldn't bother choosing parts from three or four companies, because you'll want the assurance that your parts "work well" together.

Again, I couldn't be happier. No nose dive, ridiculous traction in corners, and no detectable body roll. Good seats go a long way too.

I wouldn't set a price tag. Just get stuff done in stages. Why set a limit, especially if you're gonna want something complete? Take your time and get it done right, whichever brand/company you choose.

Good luck.

I don't AutoX yet, but my suspension is nearly ready for the task. As far as handling well, I couldn't be more pleased. I haven't even done much to the rear yet in terms of control arms and other major stuff (torque arm and PHB).

I planned on either running the Maximum Motorsports Starter Box which was around $1100 or the MRT Street kit with Illuminas for $700..

There are plenty of decent suspension companies out there.. I'd pick the ones with actual racing experience.. (I guess that leaves a lot of them)

this is what i got on my ride, 03 cobra front control arms, mach 1 struts, eibach pro kit 1.5 springs, kenny brown med/heavy duty sway bar with adj rod endlinks, hp motorsports lca, hpm med duty panhard bar, mach 1 rear shocks, qa1 cc plates, 1 uca removed. I race against m3's and other bimmers all the time and can really hand it to them on the twisties, plus living in potholed kc my car won't beat me up. I did all this for around 2k.

I checked my car, and I can just barely fit my little finger between the stock strut, and the inside lip of my front wheel. I measured the bottom half of the strut, and it is about 2" diameter. On maximum motorsports they say the hypercoil springs are 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" diameter. I assume that is inside diameter? I don't see how it could possibley be outside diameter, since the strut itself if already 2" diameter...unless the Bilstiens that the package comes with are much smaller than stock. So it looks like I don't have room for coil overs unless I get skinnier wheels. :(

Scot_94GT said:
I checked my car, and I can just barely fit my little finger between the stock strut, and the inside lip of my front wheel. I measured the bottom half of the strut, and it is about 2" diameter. On maximum motorsports they say the hypercoil springs are 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" diameter. I assume that is inside diameter? I don't see how it could possibley be outside diameter, since the strut itself if already 2" diameter...unless the Bilstiens that the package comes with are much smaller than stock. So it looks like I don't have room for coil overs unless I get skinnier wheels. :(

I don't know much about those, but a quick call to MM would clear that up. They have excellent customer service and anyone that answers the phone there knows there stuff.

You know that MM has a Coil-Over Kit for 94-03 stangs. Here's what it includes:

MM Coil-Over Packages include the following parts:

MM Front Coil-Over Kit
MM Rear Coil-Over Kit*
Pair 2-1/2” Hypercoil Springs
Pair 2-1/4” Hypercoil Springs
Bilstein Sport Front Struts
Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks
MM Caster/Camber Plates**

You'd need to talk to a sales person about spring rates, but YES, those springs will fit and they can explain how. You won't need "room" for the struts/shocks, because they'll be located inside the spring area.

If MM says they have a kit for our models, then trust me, it will fit beautifully. I'd talk to them about what all you need. It would definitely be worth your time to give them a call. At the worst, you can take that info with you should you decide to go with another company. :)

Car Nut said:
You'd need to talk to a sales person about spring rates, but YES, those springs will fit and they can explain how. You won't need "room" for the struts/shocks, because they'll be located inside the spring area.

If MM says they have a kit for our models, then trust me, it will fit beautifully. I'd talk to them about what all you need. It would definitely be worth your time to give them a call. At the worst, you can take that info with you should you decide to go with another company. :)

Well...I'm pretty sure the coilovers will not fit, since my (aftermarket) wheels are only about 3/8" from the stock strut.

How much better are coilovers than standard spring and struts?