what tire should I use?

• Sponsors (?)

A 40 profile tire isn't in MM, but percentage of the width, so a 245/40/17 has a sidewall profile that is 40% of 245 which is 97.79mm or 3.85".

The stock sized tire for that wheel is 245/45/17 which is a 25.68" overall diameter.

A 245/40/17 is a 24.71" overall diameter....almost a whole inch shorter of a tire.

A 275/40/17 is 25.66" overall diameter....same as the stock tire height so no speedometer error.

I have 4 sets of wheels for my 2 mustangs. A set of prostar big n little with ET streets for each and a set of 17x8" street tires for each (one set are the grey bullitt wheels). I run 245/45/17 on the fronts and 275/40/17 on the back.

Here's a good online tire size comparison calculator
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

I used to run the same sizes as Last5.0 until I recently got new wheels. Now I have 275/40 on front and 315/35 on back.

What is the width and backspacing on your front skinnies Last5.0? I want to get a set but don't want to have problems with them rubbing on the brake calipers. Yours look very nice on it.

Mine are 3.5" wide and they only come in one backspacing, something like 1.75". They do not clear the brakes unless you run a spacer or modifiy the caliper. Without modification you would need like a 1/2" spacer. If you remove the crossbar on the caliper you only need like a 5/16" spacer. If you grind the caliper face so it's flat and not "humped" you don't need a spacer. I've done all the above years ago and I believe in that pic I had the caliper ground flat and no spacer. I've since sold my stock modified calipers and switched to the '99+ dual piston PBR calipers and run a 3/8" spacer without modifying the caliper at all and the wheels still stay just inside the wheel well.

BTW, that pic was taken during a launch so the whole car is raised up on it's way to getting some daylight under the tires. The car sits real low normally.

If doing it all over again, I would just get a bit wider wheel, like a 4"-6" with enough backspacing so no spacer or modification is necessary

100_2585.jpg

If you have Pro Stars, it doesn't matter what the backspacing is, it's going to rub the same. The hub rubs on the caliper. You can get different drag wheels that eliminate this problem, but not Pro Stars.

Kurt

True, come to think of it the way the center hub part of the ProStars are made there will still be front brake interference no matter what back spacing you get...lol. Plus they require longer (3 inch) studs to be safe due to the thickness at the hub.

Might be better off with some Telstars or Greg Welds or something.

True, come to think of it the way the center hub part of the ProStars are made there will still be front brake interference no matter what back spacing you get...lol. Plus they require longer (3 inch) studs to be safe due to the thickness at the hub.

Might be better off with some Telstars or Greg Welds or something.

Hey, while we're on the subject, have you ever found any longer studs for the front wheels? I have to run a 1/2" spacer with my front Pro Stars to clear the Aerospace brakes. I'm concerned that the lug nuts only scoop up a couple of threads on the front wheels. All the Moroso studs have the wrong knurl diameter for the front wheels. I think Dorman might have a good stud available, but I don't know the part number.

Kurt

Your tire search results showed a bunch of 275/40-17 tires.

I got my skinnies at Firestone. I got old 165R-15 metric tires. They are originally for old BMWs, but they are becoming very hard to find. I payed under $100 for both of them mounted and balanced.

Kurt

Your tire search results showed a bunch of 275/40-17 tires.

I got my skinnies at Firestone. I got old 165R-15 metric tires. They are originally for old BMWs, but they are becoming very hard to find. I payed under $100 for both of them mounted and balanced.

Kurt

I posted that for the OP. I kind of thread jacked with the skinny question. I'm looking for skinny wheels and backspacing info.

Hey, while we're on the subject, have you ever found any longer studs for the front wheels? I have to run a 1/2" spacer with my front Pro Stars to clear the Aerospace brakes. I'm concerned that the lug nuts only scoop up a couple of threads on the front wheels. All the Moroso studs have the wrong knurl diameter for the front wheels. I think Dorman might have a good stud available, but I don't know the part number.

Kurt

Years back when I put longer studs on my '95 I used a reamer to enlarge the holes in the hub a bit and used the ARP 3" ones with the .615" knurl. The .615" knurl fit the back hubs just fine, but a bit too big for the fronts.

When I put 3" studs on the '02, Moroso had just come out with their ones with a .594" knurl and they fit the front hubs fine. Part # 46185 for '79-03 mustangs. Are the '94/5 knurl sizes different than latter years? I would think these should fit
Moroso 46185 Moroso Wheel Studs

I called Moroso not too long ago, and they said they simply do not offer a stud for the front. The factory knurl diameter is .582". I had contemplated drilling out the holes a little bit like you said. That's a lot of effort for a bearing that is innevitably going to wear out.

Kurt

Sorry, I guess I was real tired when I responded last night to your post. Yes, the wheel studs are the same for a 94' and 02.' Which is awesome information. That means the .594" knurl stud should fit in the front of my car. Thanks for sharing that.

Kurt