What to look for on used '05-06 GT's

Red_LX

I’m not much help unless you’re looking for ****!
Mod Dude
I posted this out in the main discussion area but got basically no response, hoping for more of a response in here....

I'm hoping to get out and start looking at some '05-'06 GT's shortly.

However I can't say I'm overly familiar with these cars.

What do I need to look for on a used car? What are common problem areas? I've heard about the spark plug issues and plugged cowl drains but what else is there?

Also, a little off topic but whichever car I get, at some point I'd really like to put on a set of 18" torq-thrust style wheels (as I've seen on ebay for a really good price), and they're 18x9 and 18x10 I believe so they would require staggered tires. Are any of you guys here running staggered tires and if so how is the tire wear? I know you can't rotate the tires in such a setup and that was my main concern.

• Sponsors (?)

Other than the water leak thing you got nothing to worry about.
As long as the car hasnt been raced hard or abused.
I ve had my 06 since Oct. and havnt had the slightest issue.
The lower the miles the better. One thing I always look for is
a super clean interior. Usually the people who trash the interior have
trashed everything else. I wont even consider a car thats been smoked in.:notnice:

I run 18x9front and 18x10 bullitt deep dish on my 2008GT they are B.F. Goodrich G-force supersport A/S 255/45-18 frt and 275/40-18 rear I currently have over 30,000 miles on them and they have about 60% tread life left , if you keep the air pressure set to 35lbs they should last for 55 to 60,000 miles. Also never buy a car that has been smoked in all sorts of hidden problems from the smoke check service records to see if oil has been changed regularly and that all other service intervals have been taken care off. I have over 63,000 miles on my car and it has never seen them shop except for regular maint. or for mod work, it is a daily driver that i am not that gentle with and it runs perfect. I think you will be very happy with the S-197 style mustang.

TSBs

The other thing you could do is look at the TSBs (you can search for them on this site) and keep them in the back of your mind when you take it for a test drive. Mine had a rear axle whine within the first 3 months of owning it, and it was brand new. Turns out it was the differential clutch pack and they replaced it free of charge, and there is a TSB for it.

Just a thought.

You also might want to look for signs of corrosion along the front and side edges on the underside of the hood and also the same areas on the trunk lid and doors. Some early stangs were prone to corrode in those areas. Look for bubbling paint. It seems to start from the underside and work it's way out.

The other thing you could do is look at the TSBs (you can search for them on this site) and keep them in the back of your mind when you take it for a test drive. Mine had a rear axle whine within the first 3 months of owning it, and it was brand new. Turns out it was the differential clutch pack and they replaced it free of charge, and there is a TSB for it.

Just a thought.

When there's a TSB does it mean that they generally will fix it for free, or not (since it isn't a recall)?

What would you guys think about a car with 70K on the odo? Have seen a few listed around that mileage for a very good price. It's kinda high miles for a used car but I guess also kinda not...I don't drive a lot, hell I've been driving my truck for 3 years and haven't even put 20K on it from when I bought it.

TSBs

It depends on whether the item is covered under the warranty. My rear axle whine was repaired as a warranty repair. Some dealerships will share the cost, some will not.

You also have leverage as a buyer. If you find an issue before you test drive that may be related to a TSB, then ask them to fix it or you're not going to buy the car.

Used cars are always a gamble. You never know how the previous owner treated them. Low mileage 'Stangs TEND to be babied by the PO.

Just my opinions...