What type of gauges should I run??

ClayStang

Dec 9, 2008
I'm looking at putting a Saleen Supershaker on my 2005 GT and was wondering what other gauges should I put in the car besides a boost/vacuum gauge. Any input would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have wideband AFR, vac/boost, and fuel pressure in an SOS a-pillar pod (also have the raptor shiftlight). I recently installed a Magden M1b performance computer and wired it in to my Pioneer Avic F90BT NAV display. The Magden connects to the OBDII port and allows you to set up simulated gauges to monitor (and datalog) channels that the car monitors such as intake air temp, timing, etc.

I have wideband AFR, vac/boost, and fuel pressure in an SOS a-pillar pod (also have the raptor shiftlight). I recently installed a Magden M1b performance computer and wired it in to my Pioneer Avic F90BT NAV display. The Magden connects to the OBDII port and allows you to set up simulated gauges to monitor (and datalog) channels that the car monitors such as intake air temp, timing, etc.

thats impressive. got any pics?

thats impressive. got any pics?

It's mocked up and working - still waiting for 1 electronic video switch to arrive so I can finish it off and put the centre stack back together. I'll post some pics after the weekend. While I had the stack apart, I also changed all the green LED's to blue - they look awesome and now match both the blue Mycolor that I use in the cluster and the cobalt blue a-pillar guages.

I'm looking into getting a PLX Devices 60mm OLED OBDII Multi-Gauge and trying to integrate it into the dash panel between the two center heat vents for a nice clean look. I'll also add a wideband AFR sensor module, and a Boost/Vacuum and Air Intake Temperature module whenever I get blown :D

The gauges can be customized with different formats and backgrounds, and multiple displays if desired. But I want to keep it simple and clean with one display integrated into the dash if I can make it work.

PLX Devices Inc. - Multi Gauges, Single Gauges, Sensor Modules, Wideband Air Fuel Ratio, Data Logging, Fuel Saving / Scan Tools

I agree for a boosted car get A/F fuel pressure and boost. I'm probably going to keep my car NA, so I'm thinking I'll go with water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure. I hate not having an oil pressure and oil temp gauge.
Dan

heres a pic of my setup pretty plain looking, but it serves its purpose

DSC01935.jpg

Luckily, I got the MyColor gauge cluster that has water temp, oil pressure, and voltage....plus some other stuff from the info center. For a street car/weekend toy I've never been big on having lots-o-guages mounted everywhere and a huge monster tach on the dash. I'm not gonna' duplicate gauges that I already have. For a dedicated race car, having a tach on the dash where you don't have to look down to see it is probably a good thing. I'm going to put a shift light in somewhere, and try to hide it or blend it in. As long as it's bright enough to catch my attention, it doesn't matter where it is.

Even for a N/A application, I think that having a A/F Ratio and Fuel Pressure gauge is useful. You don't need a Boost gauge, but vacuum is also useful information. So, if you're ever planning on going F/I I'd use a combination Boost/Vacuum guage. And if you have an Auto, transmission temp is a good thing to have.

Luckily, I got the MyColor gauge cluster that has water temp, oil pressure, and voltage....plus some other stuff from the info center. For a street car/weekend toy I've never been big on having lots-o-guages mounted everywhere and a huge monster tach on the dash. I'm not gonna' duplicate gauges that I already have. For a dedicated race car, having a tach on the dash where you don't have to look down to see it is probably a good thing. I'm going to put a shift light in somewhere, and try to hide it or blend it in. As long as it's bright enough to catch my attention, it doesn't matter where it is.

Even for a N/A application, I think that having a A/F Ratio and Fuel Pressure gauge is useful. You don't need a Boost gauge, but vacuum is also useful information. So, if you're ever planning on going F/I I'd use a combination Boost/Vacuum guage. And if you have an Auto, transmission temp is a good thing to have.

I have the IUP (that includes all the extra gauges), but the temp gauge is way too vague and the oil gauge is a dummy gauge that comes on at 6psi I believe. I could do without the water temp if something else was more useful, but I don't find A/F that useful on an NA car, unless you're pulling close to 100% duty cycle on the injectors or fuel pump.