What's a fair price for an unknown condition 351W?

A buddy of mine has a 69' 351W on an engine stand that he borrowed from me, I want it back and he has no place for the engine so I am thinking of buying it for a future stroker build. The engine came with a 69' rust bucket that he no longer has. For arguments sake we'll assume it is original and unbored yet and would get the works in a rebuild anyway. It looks like someone started to go thru or at least repair some of it because you can tell that the timing cover is completely brand new and just tacked in place with two bolts ($100 right there). The car ended up receiving a 5.0 and 5spd tranplant instead for what ever reason, maybe the block was junk or they just took an easier route, I don't know until I get a chance to take a closer look at it this weekend and take some pics.

So ball park, what's the going or fair rate for this block?

• Sponsors (?)

Complete with the 69/70 heads? After a visual inspection...maybe $200 to $250 if all the front dress and brackets are there and there's nothing obviously wrong. You could probably make some of it back by selling the heads. I have three of those engines lying around that varied in cost but never more than the $200.

i'd say somewhere between $250 and $500 it all depends on how good a buddy he is. :D

Not good enough that I can't take advantage of the fact that he has no clue.:rolleyes: (j/k)

This is my neighbor that came on 69stang a while back and bought a car that he was going to fix and give to his marine son. He trailered it home from florida with a friend and boy what a mess, it was rotted head to toe. He probably would not have even come home with it once he saw it but on the way down he already bought a whole new donor roof and cowl that he couldn't return. This car had a 69' vin under the fender, a 70 vin on the dash and no door tag, one 70' front fender too, just a complete mess. He got rid of it I am pretty sure for a loss and now he is trying to drive home that 65' he just bought in Texas. He did mumble something about maybe putting the 351 in this car since it was a T code now with a 289 but I am trying to talk him out of it.:D

$200 to $250

and thats only if its complete and not bored, you`ll need to look it over real well and maybe even pull a head to know for sure.

I paid $200 for a complete 302, and the same guy had about 8 351w laying around he couldn`t sell for the same price.

I gave $75 for a 69 351. I thought I got a bargain. I had some machine work done to it and when they went to put the cam bearings in he felt a crack. He said it couldn't be fixed. The machinist gave me a break and only charged me $100 for his labor so I've got $175 in a set of heads and a scrap block. A bargain is not a bargain until you know what you bought is good.

Thanks for the feedback, I just wanted a general idea of value, even if it was $5 I wouldn't buy it until I went thru it top to bottom as I don't need a boat anchor at any price and I certainly would never begin any machine work or rebuilding until I had it sonic tested first.

So since I already have a set of 351W heads on my 302 that I could use if needed, what would it be worth without them if I talk him into keeping them for his 289? I'm wondering if I can talk him into giving it to me that way if I do the head swap for him?!?!??!?!??!

I paid $200 for a complete 302, and the same guy had about 8 351w laying around he couldn`t sell for the same price.

Explain please? Have I been asleep, are 302's suddenly more valued than a 351?

Thanks for the feedback, I just wanted a general idea of value, even if it was $5 I wouldn't buy it until I went thru it top to bottom as I don't need a boat anchor at any price and I certainly would never begin any machine work or rebuilding until I had it sonic tested first.

You might want to have it pressure checked too. I didn't but it would've cost me about $100 to have it pressure checked so I came out about even.