Whats A Proper Size Tire For 18x9 & 18x10 Wheels?

David Skeans

Oct 30, 2012
I have an 07 GT and am getting new tires so figured id get new wheels as well. I am going to be putting a 18x9 wheel in front and a 18x10 in back however not sure what a good size to put on the wheels would be proper and not stick out too far and so that im not losing any gear. Also it is lowered 1.5" in the front and 1" in back. any input would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

If you want the same diameter as the stock tires the 255/45/ZR18's for the front and 285/40/ZR18's on the rear would make a good combination. A 285/35 on the rear would be about 26 inch diameter instead of 27 so you would gain a little effective gear ratio.

Earl

As a person who has 255mm tires on 9" wheels, and 275mm tires on a 10" wheels I'll tell you right off they're not a great fit. Technically, the'll mount, but will look stretched and provide absolutely no curb rash protection.

You'll want a 265mm tire on a 9" wheels, 0r 295mm on a 10" wheel minimum. Ideally, you'll want something 10-20mm wider than that on both.

Ive got 18x 9's all the way around and run 255/45/18's. Thats what Late Model Restoration
puts on thier wheel tire combos. Doesnt look streached to me, seems like a perfect fit.
You could go fatter if you wanted, if you like a bit more sidewall bulge.
2011LavonDrought005.jpg

Attachments

• 2011LavonDrought005.jpg
    2011LavonDrought005.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5,081
They actually look a little stretched to me in that pick? I can see from here the rim protruding out past the sidewall of the tire.

Can you take a straight edge, lay it across the entire diameter of the tire and make contact with, or come awfully close to the rim? If so, that's a little too stretched for my taste. It's function able, sure....but again...you've got zero protection when it comes to curb rash...and it does make the ride a lot harsher.

And LMR sells that tire with their packages because they get a bulk discount on that size and because there's less chance of the narrower tire having interference issues, not because it's the best suited size for the wheel.

Look at it thise way....the '03-'04 Cobra's ran 9" wheels all the way around and ran 275mm tires. Those fit perfectly. No stretch, no excessive sidewall bulge and no deterioration in ride quiality or handling. Fitting perfectly square isn't enough. You should have more tire, than rim sticking out.

With my 06 I ran a 255 up front, and a 295 on the back. I was lowered on sportlines and never had any issues. You can run a 275, I have ran a 285 up front on my 2013 with an 18x10 wheel and never had any rubbing issues.

They actually look a little stretched to me in that pick? I can see from here the rim protruding out past the sidewall of the tire.

Can you take a straight edge, lay it across the entire diameter of the tire and make contact with, or come awfully close to the rim? If so, that's a little too stretched for my taste. It's function able, sure....but again...you've got zero protection when it comes to curb rash...and it does make the ride a lot harsher.

And LMR sells that tire with their packages because they get a bulk discount on that size and because there's less chance of the narrower tire having interference issues, not because it's the best suited size for the wheel.

Look at it thise way....the '03-'04 Cobra's ran 9" wheels all the way around and ran 275mm tires. Those fit perfectly. No stretch, no excessive sidewall bulge and no deterioration in ride quiality or handling. Fitting perfectly square isn't enough. You should have more tire, than rim sticking out.

The tire actually sticks out about a half inch more than the rim. Just enough to not expose the rim to curb damage.
When I had my 04 GT I ran 275's all the way around on 9" rims, and true it looks a little beefier but I got tired
of that heavy feel and a bit too much sidewall flex in cornering.