what's necessary to lower

snidehockey

Jun 18, 2007
Orlando, Fl
I wan't to lose the 4x4 look, and fix that awful creaking that comes from the rear of the car all in one shot...

I have done alot of under the hood stuff, but never ventured into anything suspension. What all is required to be replaced to lower the car? I've seen tons of threads about who went w/ what but I never know what is required or what is just preference.

Thanks

oh here's the 4x4 look I'm trying to get rid of...
CIMG1769b.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Not so fast there. If you slam yours then you will have 2 problems to deal with. You wont be able to get a good alignment without Camber/Caster plates (get the Maximum Motorsports plates) and number two your roll center geometry is going to be all effed up. I've got a set of the Eibach prokit springs on my 2000 and the thing is low as hell. My front end scrapes on EVERYTHING.

I've got the CC plates in and I'm going to be installing a set of the extended ball joints to correct some of the suspension geometry issues.

Get yourself some Ford Motorsport C springs and you should be happier with your ride hieght and not need the extra parts.

Not so fast there. If you slam yours then you will have 2 problems to deal with. You wont be able to get a good alignment without Camber/Caster plates (get the Maximum Motorsports plates) and number two your roll center geometry is going to be all effed up. I've got a set of the Eibach prokit springs on my 2000 and the thing is low as hell. My front end scrapes on EVERYTHING.

I've got the CC plates in and I'm going to be installing a set of the extended ball joints to correct some of the suspension geometry issues.

Get yourself some Ford Motorsport C springs and you should be happier with your ride hieght and not need the extra parts.

+1

I have the "C" springs and couldn't be happier, low enough to get rid of the 4x4 but not so low as to slam on every little bump.

How much are those springs installed, I have to get rid of my Incraps (Intrax).

I was thinking H&R springs and bilstein shocks/struts. Supposed to be the best combo out there

I paid about $130 for my "C" springs from Stangsuspension--pretty good deal. I am not sure how much install would be, I did it myself--not too difficult really and there are a lot of good writeups.

Springs and CC plates would be the quick fix but Id suggest getting some aftermarket shocks/struts too cause the stock ones will go fast w/ lowering springs. Ive got bilsteins on mine and they ride like a dream. While your at it getting some prothane bushings would be a good idea. If you get some steeda X2 balljoints theyll help your suspension geometry and give you a nice raked look too . Lastly you might invest in the steeda bumpsteer kit if you go with much of a drop.

The Steeda x2 ball joint is EXACTLY the same product as the Ford motorsport ball joint kit. They are made by the same manufacturer to the same exact specs. Unfortunately Ford discontinued these so good luck finding a pair. I think I got the last set from a Ford dealer somewhere on the east coast. Steeda over charges for these.

I wan't to lose the 4x4 look, and fix that awful creaking that comes from the rear of the car all in one shot...

Thanks

oh here's the 4x4 look I'm trying to get rid of...
CIMG1769b.jpg

If you have creaking coming from the rear, you prolly need to check your upper control arm bushings attached to the differential. You should also inspect your upper control arms. I had the same problem so I replaced the bushings and UCA's since they appeared torn and worn and the creaking disappeared.

It depends on the springs he uses. If he goes with the C springs he shouldn't need CC plates or a bump steer kit. They are nice to have, especially the CC plates but they are not needed.

there are LOTS of stock mustangs that cant be aligned with stock plates. you MAY be able to get the car into Fords specs but to get a GOOD alignment you need plates with almost ANY spring.