What's the best deal you ever got on a Stang?

JDS68Stang

Sep 3, 2007
New York State
Going wayyyy back in time, I think it was about 1974, I bought a 1965 coupe, 289 auto, excellent interior (black), some minor body rust but the driver side rear shackle was rusted up partially into the trunk. Car ran great otherwise, girl that had it said it would cost to much to repair so the car was junk and junkyard told her they'd give her $15.00. I bought it for $20. , welded it up and drove the car for years.
Had a lot of other great deals over the years but none beat that one.

• Sponsors (?)

hi jds68stang.....do I have to pick just one?I've been very lucky with mustangs in my time.from a j code fastback for 70$very rusty...no sheet metal below door handles but it had a 6000rpm tach,dics brakes,consoles,folding rear seat...or the s code fastback for 500$ should have,could have saved it but it too became a parts car...sniff.......but my all time best would have to be the one I have now 1968 mustang fastback...heard about it locally back in 1993....i was told it had been hit........hard...the left frame was in about 4inches and up 2.5 inches all the wiring for the lights burnt/shorted out but it was a california car with lots of options so I bought it for 2500$owned it for three months all the time wondering why the vin never matched any mustang decoder info...car turned out to be 390 x code 1 of 189 fastbacks 1 of only 6 with brittany blue with black std interior so much for putting a 428 cobra jet in it ,leaving it a 390 restoration has been on /off for the last 14years...next summer going full tilt on it ..just missing a few parts other than that it's ready to assemble look forward to cruising in it next summer

paid 1500 bucks for the 69 GT back in 84 and bought a 78 II in about 90 for $600. not mustangs but a 70 cougar in 92 for $750 which i drove for over 5 years and spent very little money on, other than swapping in the 351w from the GT when the original cleveland died. my latest find is a 69 cougar, 351-2v, auto, ps, ac and manual DRUMS? for $1200, it's an all original 70,000 mile car in need of a paint job and some TLC but absolutely RUST FREE!!!! with a perfect original interior.

I realize that this is in the classic section but...
A few years ago I decided that I wanted a Saleen.
After a year long intense search I had a dealer tell me about an Artic White 2000 S.C. Speedster that was for sale.
A recently divorced middle aged man had bought this car new off the showroom floor for his new "trophy girlfriend".
She had it for 9 months and put 7,000 miles on the car.
She dumped him and he took back the car.
I paid him $25,000 less than the sticker on the car.
(I doubt that he paid sicker but who knows)
I drove the car for 2 years and put 8,000 miles on it and sold it for $3,000 more than I paid.:D
It was a sweet car but I missed the old school look.
Scott

72 Coupe (302-C4-8" Rear) purchased in 81 for $75 (Drove the car for 5 years as purchased)
71 Coupe (302-C4-8" Rear) purchased in 91 for $250 (Restorable, but using for parts)
73 Coupe (351W-FMX 9" Rear) purchased in 92 for $100 (Restorable, but using for parts)

...... my latest find is a 69 cougar, 351-2v, auto, ps, ac and manual DRUMS? for $1200, it's an all original 70,000 mile car in need of a paint job and some TLC but absolutely RUST FREE!!!! with a perfect original interior.
I hate you. :stick:

Some days, when I'm searching the web for a clean left-hand lower rear quarter, or searching more on how to mod (stretch) 71-73 Mustang inner and outer wheelhouses to fit a Cougar, or searching for upholstery and an un-cracked dash pad in "Medium Ginger", or trying to find good inner door panels for less than 600 bones...... I feel like some "transplanted ECI" :p

All because it has that Cleveland/FMX/9" drivetrain that I loved in my Gran Torino :rolleyes:
EDIT:And, to make it worse; I'll probably yank the FMX to put in it's "descendant", an AOD. :shrug:

granted, its more than anything else listed, but my 68 has 67,000 original miles on it. i got it after it sat in a barn in NV for 20 years and it has absolutely no rust, metal or bondo work on the body. as far as i know, its all factory spot welds.

price: 7K , i thought it was reasonable

$300 for a 68 hardtop w/mexican block (otherwise all original). Totally rust free, straight, and running Arizona car. Very good interior, never been hit, has all original sheet metal. It has 300K miles when my dad bought it in 1993. I bought it from him in about '98 and it is now the Mustang in the cardomain link in my signature.

Saw a 20ftr 71 Mach 1 20ftr for $10k on a website and called the guy. Way out in the Illinois sticks, 2 hour drive. Car drove straight and really was a lot better than I expected. Before I could really dig in or run the VIN. Seller tells me had just been laid off and wife was pregnant, says he wanted to move that day. I'm thinking yeah whatever, and just then his very pregnant wife comes to the garage. 1/2 hour later I hauled away a 97,000 mile M code 71 for $7k. Quarter panel rust out ,but motor had just been rebuilt , full Ram air unit and deluxe interior was all there. 2 years later I turned it for 16K and dropping in another 3k for paint and misc. Still miss that car.

I traded a motorcycle that I had about $200 bucks into for my 69 Mach1. A guy I worked with brought it back to Michigan when he visited his mother in Arizonia. I think he should have talked to his wife first because she was not happy. He knew the 69 sportroofs were my favorite, but my wife was about to has our first child and I had no money. His wife wanted the car out of the garage and a motorcycle takes up less space than a car so we swapped. The car was very solid almost no rust, but the paint was cracking and so was the interior. The coolest part is that the State of Michigan issued the title to me on the day my son was born.

The 71 Mach 1 I have today. A Navy Guy said it had been abandoned on his property by another Sailor. He originally wanted two hundred bucks but couldnt get a title for it in virginia. The car was from out of state. I called him back a few months later and asked him if he had the title. He stated he didnt but his wife wanted it gone. so it was free. that car doesnt seem so free now after all the work and money that have went into it. Kerry

Not a mustang, but I picked up a 68 XR7 GT from a lady who told me that the car kept making a funny noise when she took off from a stop. So I went to look at it, had every option under the sun, 390, 4 speed, full console, not one rip in the headliner or seats. This thing drove straight and purred like the kitten it was. I forked out the $600 and drove it home. The funny noise was the rear tires screaming from the abuse the 390 was putting them through. :D
Then a 63 1/2 Galaxy with a 390 auto for $300 in incredible shape, the lady thought that the cooling system was shot, so I paid for it and put the lower radiator hose clamp onto the water neck where it was suppose to be. :D I love little old ladies.

$300 for a 68 hardtop w/mexican block (otherwise all original). Totally rust free, straight, and running Arizona car. Very good interior, never been hit, has all original sheet metal. It has 300K miles when my dad bought it in 1993. I bought it from him in about '98 and it is now the Mustang in the cardomain link in my signature.

Ahhh, so that's your 68 I'm using as my screen saver the past week, great job on it, really decent ride.

Been enjoying the posts every few days when I check them out. Yea "65Misstress" , those little old ladies can give a great deal on a car I know,lol.

My recent: 68 coupe I6 I bought about 6-7 weeks ago, Nevada car, basically rust free and very solid. 1-10 car is an 8.
Picked it up for $3,600. ,I live in N.Y. and guy here bought it off e-bay a year or so ago so only 1-2 years here. It's my daily driver now till the salt trucks hit the roads. Will post a few pics of it soon. Got a great deal for what's out there and the prices their asking, even for an I6. So far I added up at least 2K in new parts not counting the new paint and new interior someone recently put in. After 30 years I thought it's about time I got myself in one again, even if it's an I6. Kinda surprised at all the compliments all sorts of people give when I'm out w/ it.

Others I've had in "the old days":

66 Chevelle SS, L88 hood, 350, 300 HP vette motor $350.oo
78 Trans Am SE, L88 hood, about $650.oo (had to rebuild uni body, one solid car when finished)
67 Fastback, 289 auto, about $500.oo (rusted bad, used for parts)
68 Fastback, I6, 3 speed about $650.oo (dropped the 67 289 into)
66 Coupe, excellent cond, 289 auto $350.oo (guy sold it because he didn't like the color , orange / black vinyl top/ black int.)
65 Coupe, 289 3 speed, about $400.oo
66 Galaxie Custom 500, 352 auto 4 door, (graduation gift)
Will post some old pics when I get time to dig them out.

67 Shelby GT500- paid $7500 for it in 2000- in pieces but rust free-

70 Boss 302- paid 12K for it in 2000- sold for 18K in 2001 DOH!!!!

Not a Mustang-

Paid 7500 for a 69 RS/Z28 Camaro with matching numbers DZ302- sold for 16K in 2001- DOH!!!

Lets see if ANYONE can beat this one-

In 99, bought a 69 Mach 1 for $5500

Sold it in 00 for $8000

New owner put 4K into it- ran into money problems

I bought it back from him in 01 (after he put 4K in it) for $7000 (1K less then what I sold it to him for)

I sold it for 12K 2 months later-

HA HA

Too many to list after that-

79 Notch with a warmed over 302 for $400 (ok body, but painted freaking bright smurf blue). The guy had to pay off a few speeding tickets he got in the car! Sold it for about $600 a few months later to a kid we knew who promply got a HUGE ticket the very same day (speeding-90 in a 45, unregistered operation and something else). Somehow he tweaked the rear, we bought it back for around $300, then traded it for a 78 Bronco.

Eleanor was $900 delivered, but considering the work...eh, not the best deal.

Recently picked up a lifted 92 Bronco for $600-in the snowbelt a 4x4 is like gold, and this truck's not even too badly rusted. And just broke in with 200k on the 302.

Hey folks LOOOOONG time!

so many projects, so many forums, so little time and money!

Well, I guess the mustang I have now is the best deal, cause I just finally ran the decoder to find out it's a 428 car!:jaw:

I paid $7500 for two cars and a pile of parts from a guy in Frakes, KY.
I was down there on a mission trip with church.

He brought me the cars and parts on a wedge trailer behind a dodge diesel dually.

I sold the full on removable front end lexan window 70 drag car for about $4200 on ebay - the buyer came to pick it up.

I sold the powerglide, the 4v 351W heads, and lots of other parts that came with the $7500 deal.

I now have the '69 all steel very no rust fastback, the C4 that came with it, and some other parts..... so, I guess I have less that $2500 into a rust free R code Mach1.

is that a good deal?
who knows- now I have to restore it and have you seen the price of 428 stuff?
:bang: :bang: :bang: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D