whats the difference betweem gm and ford saginaw box

shoguun

Jul 28, 2009
My uncles race car has a saginaw power steering box. It is a 70 chevelle. I was curious if the ones used on the 71 to 73 mustangs were the same. Will they line up to the holes for the box on a 68 or do i have to drill some holes and such. I really dont want to deal with control valves and cylinders so im looking for something simpler, like a box that has the power steering lines going directly in it. Otherwise im gonna go with a j car rack setup. Im really not downs for spending 1700 on a aftermarket rack. its a straight 6 to V8 so its a b**** sometimes. Im 21 with a part time job and full time school so it comes together piece by piece.

• Sponsors (?)

I have both of them at home. I have one I just picked up from a Ford Van, 80's vintage. The other on is standard GM issue. I'll take a look this evening to see if they look the same as far a mounting points go. I could not answer the question if there is different flow characteristics between the pumps. I assume there would be but I have no Idea. I am going to use the GM pump on my car since I am using a Steeroids rack (J car).

I can tell you the the shaft on the two pumps are different. The GM rack uses a 5/8" bolt to hold it on and the Ford pump is a press on fittling. I am not sure on size but it looks like the same size as the 5.0 Mustang pump (11/16"). I'll check that this evening as well.

I don't know if this helps but at least it is a place to begin the discussion.

im using a stock 5.0 pump. I figure the issues with the hoses wont be that bad. I figure i can make my own or just buy different fitting adapters. My uncles race car is a front steer box though. I think that means that that box probably wont work.

im using a stock 5.0 pump. I figure the issues with the hoses wont be that bad. I figure i can make my own or just buy different fitting adapters. My uncles race car is a front steer box though. I think that means that that box probably wont work.

You can use your stock hoses. The only thing you need is a 3/4" double male adapter available at any hardware store worth your hard earned cash.