whats the difference between 79-89 camber plates and 90-93?

• Sponsors (?)

I am not exactly positive as to what the difference is but have reason to believe the bolt pattern may be just slightly different enough to cause some headaches. I also believe there is some variation in the actual dimensions in the strut tower/CC plate placement to give the newer models more camber. Some manufacturers made plates specifically for the changes in the bolt patterns while other make a "one size fits all". I was using BBK CC plates on my '92, however when my paint/body guy tried to transfer them to my '89 donor body he said "they didn't line up right and didn't quite fit" this didn't tell me much. The only real info I got out of him was that he said he could only get about 1 1/2 threads of the nut onto the strut with the BBK CC plates. This is probably because the housing was so tall. I ended up ordering UPR Billet steel plates and they look sweet as hell, I am told the fitment is great, and they use steel bearings instead of bushings like the BBK use. The UPR ones are also considerably cheaper. Here are some pics:

90-93 BBK:

FRONTRTSuspension.jpg

87-89 UPR:

PAINT_PASSSIDECCPLATE.jpg

Hope this helps some. I am overseas and the info I have is kinda limited as I can't really get "hands on" with my car for a couple more months.

Attachments

• FRONTRTSuspension.jpg
    FRONTRTSuspension.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 369
  • PAINT_PASSSIDECCPLATE.jpg
    PAINT_PASSSIDECCPLATE.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 936
The bolt pattern is different. Went through this with Hack Job. The one rear stud is offset just about 1/4" or 1/2". The other style, both studs are positioned next to each other. The actual strut tower itself on the car is different as well. I could not put the newer camber plates on my 81 coupe. 79-89, 90-93.

The bolt pattern is different. Went through this with Hack Job. The one rear stud is offset just about 1/4" or 1/2". The other style, both studs are positioned next to each other. The actual strut tower itself on the car is different as well. I could not put the newer camber plates on my 81 coupe. 79-89, 90-93.

Are you certain it's 79-89 and 90-93? I ask because i didn't know this and i have a set that came off an '89 so if you're right then i should be ok with them on my '85.

Are you certain it's 79-89 and 90-93? I ask because i didn't know this and i have a set that came off an '89 so if you're right then i should be ok with them on my '85.

I'm certain. I went through all the Mustang fox bodies I have in the yard. My 81 (Hack Job) had the same thing all the way up to 89. When I went to the newer 90+ cars, they were all different. They will work on your car. :nice: