• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

What's the loudest Chambered Muffler?

  • Thread starter Thread starter speedfreak98r
  • Start date Start date Apr 13, 2006

speedfreak98r

Banned
Jan 31, 2006
0
0
0
Houston Area
Apr 13, 2006
#1
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #1
What about the Flowmaster 10 series? Not a big fan of flows, but I heard a sound clip on mustangexhaust.com, and it sounded pretty badass. Just wondering what :SNSign: thinks is the LOUDEST chambered muffler.
 

V_Eight

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
617
1
0
ATL
Apr 13, 2006
#2
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #2
I'm on my way to pick up my old exhaust (in sig). It's going to be JBA headers, O/R Prochamber, and 1-Chamber Flows. It used to be just the mid and dumps, but now it's going to take it to another level with those headers.
 

nickthegenius

Active Member
Dec 23, 2002
1,631
1
38
Elwood, IN
Apr 13, 2006
#3
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #3
I had longtubes, Spintech Sportsmans, and an o/r X pipe. I thought it bordered on being too loud. However, the Sportsmans are their "quiet" muffler. They have a muffler called the ProStreet that has a narrow case and is supposed to be very loud.

Here is my old car:

http://steeleenfobragt.home.insightbb.com/nick.avi
 

speedfreak98r

Banned
Jan 31, 2006
0
0
0
Houston Area
Apr 13, 2006
#4
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #4
Is that all the input :SNSign: has? I thought for sure this would benefit others as well.
 

gtstangau

Member
Jan 9, 2006
133
0
16
Alabama
Apr 13, 2006
#5
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #5
Flowmaster 1 chambers are the loudest ones that I have heard!
 

nickthegenius

Active Member
Dec 23, 2002
1,631
1
38
Elwood, IN
Apr 13, 2006
#6
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #6
speedfreak98r said:
Is that all the input :SNSign: has? I thought for sure this would benefit others as well.
Click to expand...

Well, its pretty straight-forward. You only have so many chambered muffler manufacturers. All the ones I can think of are:

Flowmaster- Loudest is the 10-series single chamber

Spintech- Loudest is the Pro-Street

Hooker- Aerochambers are chambered, hence the name, but they aren't really that loud. They do have a nice sound though.

Magnaflow- They offer a few mufflers that are chambered, but IIRC they are large-case mufflers intended for big-blocks, RVs and such. They aren't going to be loud on a 4.6L. And before some newb comes on here and states something like, "OMG Magnaflow are str8-thru mofo, I have some mad-tyte Magnaflows up under my ride" or "I am master of the intarweb and I've never seen chambered Magnaflows, yo" here is a link:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone=main&id=303

Edelbrock SDT- They're chambered, but other than seeing them in Summit's catalog, I don't know much about them. They are a large-case muffler, so I doubt they would be as loud as what you are looking for.

Ravin- I think their Z-33 mufflers were chambered with some sort of wacky Z-shaped baffles. The sound clips I heard sounded OK, but I think they are now defunct.

Turbo Tubes- These are the original chambered mufflers. They were offered as optional equipment on late-60's and early 70's GM muscle cars. They sound sweet and border on obnoxious if you get short ones. And no, they aren't just glasspacks. They have no packing and the "crimps" in the outer body form the chambers.

Here is a sound clip of a Cobra with turbo tubes: http://www.classicchambered.com/sounds/Cobra_Drive_By-PS.wav

Here is where you buy them: http://www.classicchambered.com/
 

speedfreak98r

Banned
Jan 31, 2006
0
0
0
Houston Area
Apr 13, 2006
#7
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #7
Any Ravin clips? BTW, U DA MAN
 

nickthegenius

Active Member
Dec 23, 2002
1,631
1
38
Elwood, IN
Apr 13, 2006
#8
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #8
speedfreak98r said:
Any Ravin clips? BTW, U DA MAN
Click to expand...

Here is the Ravin on a '98 GT with a catted X pipe so its not as loud as it could be:

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php?action=play&id=259
 

jasonh_86

I
May 20, 2005
1,156
2
48
Arkansas
Apr 13, 2006
#9
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #9
Flowmaster 10 series is loud.. but i'm not quite too sure if I liked it or not
 

V_Eight

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
617
1
0
ATL
Apr 13, 2006
#10
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #10
Picked up my exhaust today, going to paint it here in a few minutes..

View attachment 477022

It's the loudest one around here, undoubtedly. That's even before the JBA headers.
 

GoBabyVroommm

Active Member
Mar 22, 2003
1,156
0
36
Chicago, For Realss???!!!
Apr 13, 2006
#11
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #11
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=599327

In there is a video of my 1 chamber flows made into a side exhaust. I really dont' think its loud IMO.
 

jasonh_86

I
May 20, 2005
1,156
2
48
Arkansas
Apr 13, 2006
#12
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #12
V_Eight said:
Picked up my exhaust today, going to paint it here in a few minutes..

View attachment 476990

It's the loudest one around here, undoubtedly. That's even before the JBA headers.
Click to expand...

O/R Prochamber FTW
 

mity2

I like Pro3 and all I got was this crappy CT.
Jul 24, 2003
2,872
3
48
StateCollege PA
Apr 13, 2006
#13
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #13
i don't get the obsession with loudest muffler...
I personally don't like being too loud. Super 40 with O/R H(althought nice sound) too loud fo me...
With my prochamber and Magnaflow was loud enough
 

helty

some Ukrainian's enjoying a handjob via my credit
Mar 30, 2005
1,461
1
39
Baltimore, MD
Apr 13, 2006
#14
  • Apr 13, 2006
  • #14
mity2 said:
i don't get the obsession with loudest muffler...
I personally don't like being too loud. Super 40 with O/R H(althought nice sound) too loud fo me...
With my prochamber and Magnaflow was loud enough
Click to expand...
agreed, hence the reason I went from LM1's, to LM2's, to Bassani.

Most people who are new to Mustangs want the loudest exhaust as their first mod. (and some people who have been into stangs for a long time stay that way too) I know bc I was one of them. Now, I'd trade good tone and sound over volume anyday.
 

V_Eight

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
617
1
0
ATL
Apr 14, 2006
#15
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #15
GoBabyVroommm said:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=599327

In there is a video of my 1 chamber flows made into a side exhaust. I really dont' think its loud IMO.
Click to expand...

Get a catless midpipe and it WILL be loud.
 
T

Todd00GT1

New Member
Mar 25, 2006
38
0
0
New Cumberland, PA
Apr 14, 2006
#16
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #16
I have a MAC off road H pipe and MAC exhaust. It's quiet at idle, but sounds very nice when you tromp on it. It gets good and loud. Alot of people that don't know Mustangs real well think I have motor work done to my car when all I really have is that exhaust and some other bolt-on's.
 

speedfreak98r

Banned
Jan 31, 2006
0
0
0
Houston Area
Apr 14, 2006
#17
  • Apr 14, 2006
  • #17
I've been into stangs for a while. And I still like having the dominent sound. I have Dynomax Race bullets with an o/r H. Its loud, but I like the tone of a chambered muffler; which is why I posted this thread.
 

V_Eight

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
617
1
0
ATL
Apr 15, 2006
#18
  • Apr 15, 2006
  • #18
I'll know in about 3 hours if i'm selling my exhaust or not. I'm waiting for an auction to end on a car I want to buy, and it has a nice sounding exhaust.
 

Firemanz

Only you can prevent Forest Fires!
Founding Member
Dec 13, 2001
4,105
0
0
San Antonio, TX
Apr 15, 2006
#19
  • Apr 15, 2006
  • #19
I have Spintech Sportsman splitcase and a Mac O/R H. Sounds deep and loud but not too bad when I keep my foot out of it.

Sets off car alarms everywhere and the neighbors hate me when I leave the house at 5:15am.....
 

DSG40thGT

New Member
Apr 14, 2006
0
0
0
Bryant, AR
Apr 15, 2006
#20
  • Apr 15, 2006
  • #20
1 chamber Flows are the loudest, used to have them with a MAC offroad H, ask Helty and Jasonh_86. It's loud but def. not good. I switched pretty quick.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
96
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
T
Resolved Exhaust/Muffler tips
  • Tom77
  • May 9, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
429
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- May 9, 2025
Tom77
T
P
Tailpipes for '88 GT
  • pindude80
  • Apr 30, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
31
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 13, 2025
pindude80
P
P
2000 GT Random Power Loss
  • Pinellas50
  • Mar 9, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
373
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 23, 2026
Pinellas50
P
Turbo or Chambered mufflers?
  • limp
  • Feb 27, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3 4
Replies
70
Views
9K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 19, 2024
limp
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?