Turbo or Chambered mufflers?

You just need to make sure the hump in tailpipe sits correctly over the rear end. Not a lot of room for error with that part of the exhaust. It’s got to sit where it needs to sit.
I would get tailpipes correct, then measure the room between that and your h-pipe. Then, like Mike said, you can probably adjust the flow tubes to fit the muffler/flow tube combo.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

There are no attachments for the hangers with hardware. Strictly for oem mufflers, but who has those?

The middle clamps are what I used and they work welll. You can tighten down the pipe, and then if you need to adjust just loosen it and you can move everything again. Very slicks

Are you able to weld? If so I would recommend just getting hangers that you can weld onto the pipes. That way you can position and just tack weld and see if it works.

Also, not really required but I swapped my tailpipe hangers to 99-04 hangers. Gives you two spots to mount hangers on the rear which keeps the exhaust rock solid.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Can you elaborate? I’m always fighting my tailpipes knocking on one thing or another! Drives me nuts.

The 99-04 cars hangers have two mounting points. One hanger would go to the mufffler and the other to the tailpipe. It made things very rigid back there.

Since I’m running the PHB, I have maybe 1/4” of clearance so I needed those pipes to not move. This definitely helped

Not my car: this is a 99-04. Hangers highlighted in yellow. One on muffler one on outside of tailpipe
IMG_8196.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
So your saying I could purchase a 99-04 bracket and it would bolt up to where the brackets in my car go now??
then buy some insulators and hangers to weld to the muffler and pipe for a better hanger?
Is this what I need to get started? Looks like new ones are not available..
1709173113673.png

Stock hangers with PHB and torque arm on my Coupe with no issues. I will say that I had a buddy that owns a custom exhaust shop do the install. If I were doing it myself I would hands down do it like Mike has it as those hangers have to work better for sure!

On Black Jack, I just had an exhaust shop cut and weld pipes until we got it the way I wanted. No vibrations. It's a basic 2.5" Flowmaster 44 2 chamber. Sounds great, not too loud, IMO.

In the black Turbo 331 with a 76mm turbo to a 3.5" downpipe, to a Y-pipe with an electric cutout, to 3" duals back to Super Turbos it is still too loud for my liking. Tried to quiet things down from the UltraFlos that were straight through, but that didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Maybe sound deadening and running pipes out the back instead of dumps will improve things. Would like to know what the quietest muffler out there is. If I want loud or to race, that's what the cutout is for.

The quietest setup I've ever had was stock cam with an incon twin turbo through 2.5" pipes to super turbos. Now that was smooth and quiet. So, there's a solution I can get behind... Install an Incon Twin Turbo kit!

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
So your saying I could purchase a 99-04 bracket and it would bolt up to where the brackets in my car go now??
then buy some insulators and hangers to weld to the muffler and pipe for a better hanger?
1709173113673.png
So are the bracket mounting areas ( the 2 holes on each side) for dual exhaust the same from 86-04, but in 99-04 ford changed to these brackets?

1709173113673.png
Yes, that’s exactly what I did. Those hangers bolted right up in place of my original ‘88 hangers.

Then I hung my exhaust, and got some universal type hangers and welded them on.

Something like this. But I used stainless ones since my exhaust was all SS

Do 1983s have the hanger mounts on both sides? Thought those were single exhaust? I already had the dual exhaust hangers on my car so it was a pure bolt-on

Only pic I could find showing installed 99-04 hanger. You can see the two rubber isolators on both sides of the mocked up tailpipe

IMG_8203.jpeg

Do 1983s have the hanger mounts on both sides? Thought those were single exhaust? I already had the dual exhaust hangers on my car so it was a pure bolt-on

Only pic I could find showing installed 99-04 hanger. You can see the two rubber isolators on both sides of the mocked up tailpipe

IMG_8203.jpeg
Yes they do... seems as if ford used some existing holes and mounting areas that were in the early cars ( at least that is what I have assumed ) when they updated to dual exhaust in 86-87....
The passenger side mounting area is used for the brake line ( which is moved for dual exhaust) and when I updated to the newer brake line ( the brake line bracket moves to up above the 3rd member) there were two factory holes in the crossmember where the bracket holes lined up with and the rivets went right in..
Sometimes the stars align......

I would take some pics, but there was a microsoft update to my computer and now my camera/Picture app won't work right.... I wish people would just let things be that work fine......

Last edited:
There’s a bunch listed on eBay. All different prices (some people think they’re made of gold)
TY, yeah I saw them on Ebay, but thought I would check in with the general first.. He lives close by me....

Last edited:
yeah they are nuts for those on eBay. Not like there’s a huge market IMHO
Maybe everyone read your idea to upgrade to this on the fox bodies??
I got a pretty good deal on the stock rear tail pipe hangers... I want to hang the back tail pipes before I order mufflers and clamps to double check my measurements for larger mufflers so this is all I want to order right now, besides the 99-04 midway brackets...
Blue Oval was $27 w/free shipping.... pushed the button to send it..
I needed new hangers for the back of the mufflers anyways, so the price of these 99-04 brackets were only a few dollars more... Bought one of the sets for sale on Ebay.... I am going from the single exhaust on this 83 to dual exhaust, so I pretty much need everything....

Surprising how much money I will have into this " simple " do it my self exhaust system.... Appx. $800

• Surprised