Whats this? Next to the torque box. Looks like 2 replaceable pieces

• Sponsors(?)

Rdub6

Mustang Master
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
Looks like trans crossmember to me too.
I spent several hours under my car cleaning and degreasing. Makes it easier to work on, and easier to diagnose problems!

tsiemens

my welding skills arent really skills
Jul 14, 2018
ontario
Thats the crossmember? Ill have to look in to that thanks. As far as filthy thats on purpose guys i live in the rust belt its krown under spray.

tsiemens

Jul 14, 2018
ontario
So what is the point of the crossmember exactly then does it hold the tranny from falling out of the car or something?

tsiemens

Jul 14, 2018
ontario
Well the reason i asked is because the metal bushings have rusted through on the other side and i wanted to know what it does so i can prioritize it or not

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Seaside, CA
Well, yeah... major priority. Without it, your transmission is hanging off of the back of the bellhousing, torqing the engine that direction, and throwing your U-joints outside of the angle they're supposed to operate within. This can lead to vibrations, u-joint failures, and tear up the seals on both sides of the driveshaft & engine mounts. Plus, probably more secondary effects.

Reactions: Potomus Pete

tsiemens

Jul 14, 2018
ontario
So how easy is that to replace with jack stands and a jack? Ive done most of the work on this car myself so far.

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Seaside, CA
Yeah, just get the car up on jack stands, support the back of the tranny with the jack. Unbolt and pull off the cross-member, and do whatever you need to, before reinstalling.

Rdub6

Mustang Master
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
Keep in mind that brand new replacements come as “adjustable”. Meaning you need to weld those tubes to the crossmember once you have the fit correct. Or you could go with a Stifflers for a little more money, and skip the welding.

Reactions: EX-SSP

tsiemens

Jul 14, 2018
ontario
Very funny. It was just a general description of the location. Anyway thanks for the tips on the need to weld certain new crossmembers. Probably would go with the stiffler then as my welding skills arent really skills.

• Haha
Reactions: Noobz347