What's Up With My Clutch???

DRFT_STNG

Jun 14, 2004
Hey kids.. long time since ive posted but you've all always helpped me before so here goes.. i have a '95 GT.. which i love to death by the way.. but i put in a new clutch a few months back.. teh higher performance Hayes.. my automechanics teacher recomended it.. but when i first put it in it was kinda hopping when i let off the clutch.. my brother said it was doin the same thing as his amd it would wear out.. it was jsut a new clutch and wasnt wanting to grab right.. but its still hopping.. i cant figure it out.. does anyone know whast wrong?? any healp would be great

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like you are describing chattering. This is often due to hot spots and glazing. Was the flywheel friction surface turned? A Blanchard grinder works very well for doing this.

Some new clutches do chatter until they break in. But if it continues after break in (several hundred miles), that's not right.

What is the friction material in the new disk. I would surmise that it's organic but dont want to guess.

Your bro is right about glazed friction materials chattering, but like I said, it can happen during break in also.

Good luck.

i think you may be right abotu the flywheel.. it wasnt turned and it did have a few hot spots on it.. my teacher didnt think it would matter becaseu it wamst bad.. but i guess im gettin a new flywheel then.. thanks for the help guys

You really should always get your flywheel resurfaced with a new clutch. ALso higher performance clutches can take as much as 500 or so miles to break in. SOme will chatter while being slipped while they break in, also dont beat on it much until it breaks in fully.

WhiteDevil said:
You really should always get your flywheel resurfaced with a new clutch. ALso higher performance clutches can take as much as 500 or so miles to break in. SOme will chatter while being slipped while they break in, also dont beat on it much until it breaks in fully.

:stupid: 500 miles ....