Wheel and Tire Fit 16x8

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
My car is currently in the shop having the front and rear glass fitted and some final interior trim, and then I will be able to declare that the bulk of the restoration is done.
Except, I need new wheels and tires. I’ve been researching wheel and tire size using a lot of the resources provided by this and other bulletin boards.
My car is a 65 Coupe, front disc brakes, rear drums, no Shelby A-Arm drop, 9 inch Ford rear end. I don’t want to roll the fenders. Currently I have 14x6 inch wheels with 195 width tires.
I’m most likely gonna go with AR Torq. Thrust D wheels. I’ll most likely be buying wheels and tires via the internet (Performance Plus Tire, Tire Rack or similar) so, while I want to increase tire width I’m looking for a no hassle installation.
After much research I’ve decided on:

Front: 16x8 inch wheels, 4.5 inch backspace, 205x50x16
Rear: 16x8 inch wheels, 4.5 inch backspace, 225x50x16

Questions:
1. Anybody running with such a set up on a ’65 Coupe and would like to comment on wheel and tire fit?
2. Anybody like to recommend a tire manufacturer and type in the $100-$120 price range (per tire)?
3. Recommendations for online wheel and tire suppliers?
4. Photos always welcome.
5. Any comments welcome.
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

The fronts are 225/50/16 and 245/50/16 on the rear.The front has 1" lowered springs and the rear are stock sagging leafs.
bill2.jpg

bill1.jpg

bill3.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
The wheels and tires on that blue coupe look great. Are they 16x7 or 16x8?

I wouldn't go 205 on an 8 inch wheel, I think that will make the tire bulge out at the side wall.