• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

wheel fit question

  • Thread starter Thread starter junkyardwarrior
  • Start date Start date Sep 29, 2020
J

junkyardwarrior

Well-Known Member
Jan 10, 2011
400
113
63
Sep 29, 2020
#1
  • Sep 29, 2020
  • #1
93 coupe 4 cylinder OE, 4 lug currently

My friend at work gave me a set of OE 98 cobra 17x8 wheels and they are NICE. No tires or course. I know the popular way to do a 5 lug is SN95, and I've done that on the other car. However, no cars to pull parts from in any of the yards within 150 miles.

So I'm looking at the LMR 5 lug swap rotors and axles. Question is, will the OE 98 cobra's clear the grease cap? Anything else that might prevent this from working together?

Kit:

Mustang Front Only 5 Lug Conversion Kit (87-93) - LMR

Upgrade the front of your Mustang to 5 lugs with this 1987-1993 Mustang 5.0 5-Lug conversion kit!
lmr.com
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Sep 29, 2020
#2
  • Sep 29, 2020
  • #2
Rear is fine. Front won’t unless you run a spacer. No idea how thick.

just go grab an 84-86 SVO front rotor from local auto parts store and do all your test fitting, then return it.
 
Reactions: revhead347
J

junkyardwarrior

Well-Known Member
Jan 10, 2011
400
113
63
Sep 30, 2020
#3
  • Sep 30, 2020
  • #3
is that all they are is svo rotors? For some reason I thought they were completely different. I might actually have a pair of SVO rotors in storage from my old 86 SVO.

would be nice if I can make the swap work with the rotors, and axles.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Sep 30, 2020
#4
  • Sep 30, 2020
  • #4
junkyardwarrior said:
is that all they are is svo rotors? For some reason I thought they were completely different. I might actually have a pair of SVO rotors in storage from my old 86 SVO.

would be nice if I can make the swap work with the rotors, and axles.
Click to expand...

Yes, these are parts from various other Ford vehicles. LMR just packages it all together. Nothing special. Back when I ran this setup, I just bought the rotors are local parts store, and transferred all my existing bearings and such over to them. I did get new seals.

Front rotors for the 87-93 V8 Mustang are from an 84-86 SVO or 84-90 Mark 7. Same casting, but just has a 5th lug. Rear drums are 9" drums from a 2.3 ford ranger. The axle shafts are from a ranger as well.

Ford tended to make a lot of parts somewhat interchangable to keep costs down.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

8
87 lx 4cyl to v8 project 4 lug disc conversion questions
  • 87lx428
  • Mar 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
577
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 25, 2026
87lx428
8
Brake pad and rotor upgrade
  • Sparky714
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
502
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
Sparky714
S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
325
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
Rear Disc and Rims Offsets
  • TripleYellow
  • Nov 11, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 9, 2026
TripleYellow
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
409
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?