Wheel frustration

sparx

Sep 2, 2009
I finally discovered that the reversed chrome wheels I want are called "smoothies".

So I locate at Summit Racing, for one vendor, three manufactures that make them in 15 x7.

BUT, they are making these wheels for dual mount so these have 10 lugs holes instead of the normal five.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Any ideas, since I want to run these with the moon cover off and with chrome lugs nuts, preferably five nuts not 10!
sparx

U.S. Wheel 52-5710 - U.S. Wheel 52 Series Chrome Smoothie Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.comU.S. Wheel 52-5710 - U.S. Wheel 52 Series Chrome Smoothie Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

• Sponsors (?)

Wvintiques is using the dual lug pattern too.
I may have to call them.

I just am sooooooooo tired of 5 spoke wheels, I saw them on a lawn mower the other day!

sparx,
I think that price may be for a set of 4. At Stockton's website they list that wheel for $117 each, so a discounted ebay $395 sounds about right for 4.
My $.02,
Gene

Hey Gene that is for 4, I have to check them out.
Is 3" back space enough? (actually listed as 3" offset which is not really the same thing)
TY
Sparx

sparx,
If you contact Stockton Wheel, they can make them whatever backspace you need and will likely still honor the ebay pricing. A phone call is cheap. It's odd how they list the offset. For example, the Cragar website lists offset in millimeters and the back space in inches. If that 3 is in mm, it would give 4.125" back space. I would at least call them to verify the spec in the listing and what the actual back space is. With a 7" wide wheel, I would think 3.5"-3.75 back space would be about right. 3" offset would be a lot.
HTH,
Gene

I researched all the smoothies I could and find they have dual lug drills, or 10 holes to state it in a different manner.

I think these are nice and may order one to see:

Cragar 325799 - Cragar Chrome Keystone Klassic Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The problem I have with these are the oval holes, one size fits all, well 3 bolt patterns. Things like this bother me. Also they say steel wheels can get out of whack easier... :(

Here in Tucson very little is in stock, I hate to order 4 and get stuck with a high return shipping fee.

It will cost an additional $12.00 to get the other 3 but...

Sparx

sparx,
I really love those Keystone wheels (always have) and it looks like the lug setup is better than on the standard Cragar SS. It looks like the Keystones use an offset, oval shaped washer that fits into the wheel, whereas the Cragar SS simply uses an offset round washer that goes over the slot. I went with the Cragar SS 15x8:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/822656-screamin-rat-got-new-rims-skins.html

and I'm not sure I like that mounting setup as much as the type on the Keystone. My honest opinion on those wheels is that they are nice , but look like Cragar wannabes that can spotted from 1/2 mile away. If your Summit order hasn't shipped yet, you could likely cancel or put it on hold. I suggest you check out a Discount Tire in your area, before dropping $$$ elsewhere, especially if you're looking for tires too. They run some pretty cool specials and can get a much wider selection of wheels than they list online-Cragar, American Racing, etc. My 15x8 Cragars were $140 each plus $100 mail in rebate on the wheels and $60 rebate on the tires. The whole package, including 245/60/R15 BFGs, mounting, balancing and road hazard, came out to about $200 less than I could do for anywhere online, mounting/balancing locally, without road hazard. They can get the Keystones and Wheel Vintiques also. They should be able to road force balance also.
My $.02 or maybe $.03,
Gene