Wheel Sensor

mustang70

Founding Member
Nov 15, 2001
San Diego
I was just curious if anyone has managed to to a stock ABS sensor as a wheel speed sensor? From what I read in the manual it says it can use a magnetic pick-up, but it needs an interface. I think the interface would be easier than trying to add another sensor to the spindle. This would be for traction control.

This is the hall effect sensor thats recommended, but I'm not sure how it would work with my spindle and hub.

• Sponsors (?)

This is the same sensor I use to watch the back of the front wheel studs for traction control. The factory sensor is likely a 2 wire vr sensor, to use it you will need a vr conditioning circuit. What ECU are you using and what inputs do you have open?

I have the MS3 Pro PNP for the 03/04 Cobra. There's an input in the AUX plug for an extra wheel sensor and that's what I was planning on using.

Does the sensor pick up the heads of the studs?

Yes it does I treat it like a 4 tooth wheel.

There are also options to use the factory sensor, if you look up vr conditioner they have small boards to to it for you and then feed the conditioned signal into a hz input (or digital input both should work but hz will be better) the board will require some soldering but is so small you can get it working then encapsulate with hot glue, once that's done place it in a small container (plastic preffered....)

1581695104926.png

this was from a few months ago during mock up, I welded the stud onto the arm.