wheel stud swap help

fredfifty

Nov 23, 2011
SF Bay Area
hey so I want to add 1/2 inch wheel spacers to push my rear wheels out to be flush with the fender or close to it. I have 93 cobras and it is a stock 4 lug drum setup in the rear. I see lmr has 2.5 inch studs and cjpp has 3inch studs, both arp. does anyone know if the 2.5 inch studs are better to use? reason I ask is that I want to make sure the center cap on my 93 cobras will still go on. what do you all recommend?

also, I want to confirm I will be able to replace the studs without pulling the axles out? any tips and advice is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I stud that long will probably need the axle to come out. I got my studs from moroso studs...way cheaper. Order the 3 in and once you see how they fit have them cut down...or cut the down yourself. It's easy with a cut off wheel. Afterwards use this to taper the threads and paint the tip.

Screenshot_20200412-003713_eBay.jpg

Removing axles isn't a hard job. Pretty straight forward. The hardest parts are getting the drum off and the smell of the rear diff fluid.

Reactions: 1 user
3in studs are going to seem like they are a mile long. My axles had them, I had to put on a standard lug nut, then a decorative one. You can cut them, but you had better do a good job. I'd probably use a portable ban saw to do it.
I'll assume you are talking press in studs. The axles are going to have to come out.

I switched mine the next time I had the axles out to 2.5in. But mine were threaded. Even then I doubt they would go in with the axle in place.
If you are pulling the axles make it worth while and add disc brakes.

Reactions: 1 user