When cruising, or daily driving...what rpms do you shift at?

Is there a purpose to this thread? Don't we all drive pretty much the same way? Shift when it seems right, runnin hard shift later, savin' gas shift sooner.

I think we all shift at about the same rpm no matter what gears because that doesn't effect the rpms, it only changes the speed at which you are going when you get to those same rpms.

I'm not trying to pi$$ on your thread, just trying to figure it out.

Mines an auto so like Ryan218 it depends on how heavy my foot is in it. But even if it was a manual, I would shift when it sounded right, I very rarely look at the tach while I'm driving.

ZACTLY!

i shift when i want to. sometimes i like to hear it rev, and i cruise at 3000 where it sounds mean, other times i throw it in 5th, and it sits at 1500rpms. lately, since i only get to drive maybe once a week, i like to leave stop lights hard, chirping each gear, then cruising at the speed limit like i wasn't even trying...

• Sponsors (?)

Well th reason why I made this post was... I have 4.10s and when Im just crusing and leave it in 4th gear ill be going about 40-43mph at 2300rpms, 45 at 2500rpms...so heres WHY... because I feel sometimes leaving it in 4th and going 45-48mph is alittle high(2500rpms) of a rpm to just be constantly crusing(not sucking gass) at, instead of shifting into 5th gear and the rpms being too low(too doggy for city driving). so why I ask is because 4.10's are right in the spot at city speeds(45-48mph) where 5th is too low(not enough rpms) and 4th is too much rpms, So to solve this and benefit from the acceleration I was thinking of swaping to 4.30 gears that way at 45-50 mph ill be in 5th and and it will be just the right rpms to cruise at 2k-2300rpms in 5th and there wont be that annoying spot when Im cursing and 4th is too much and 5th is too low putting me in the gay drone spot of the rpms right at 1700-1800rpms where drone is the worst in 5th gear at 45mph, so for me it seems 4.30's will solve this problem forcing me into 5th at 45-48mph and will be right at the sweet spot for normal driving. and have hella good acceleration, possibly pulling like a freight train...and I never, but rarely drive on the highway. so 4.30's seem like my next mod for making the car faster...Because at my point theres not many bolt-ons that will do as much as 4.30's will...other than a supercharger or h/c/i. the rest of my bolt-on options wont do crap for my car but mabye like 1-2tenths.

Well th reason why I made this post was... I have 4.10s and when Im just cursing and leave it in 4th gear ill be going about 40-43mph at 2300rpms, 45 at 2500rpms...so heres WHY... because I feel sometimes leaving it in 4th and going 45-48mph is alittle high(2500rpms) of a rpm to just be constantly cursing(not sucking gass) at, instead of shifting into 5th gear and the rpms being too low(too doggy for city driving). so why I ask is because 4.10's are right in the spot at city speeds(45-48mph) where 5th is too low(not enough rpms) and 4th is too much rpms, So to solve this and benefit from the acceleration I was thinking of swaping to 4.30 gears that way at 45-50 mph ill be in 5th and and it will be just the right rpms to cruise at 2k-2300rpms in 5th and there wont be that annoying spot when Im cursing and 4th is too much and 5th is too low putting me in the gay drone spot of the rpms right at 1700-1800rpms where drone is the worst in 5th gear at 45mph, so for me it seems 4.30's will solve this problem forcing me into 5th at 45-48mph and will be right at the sweet spot for normal driving. and have hella good acceleration, possibly pulling like a freight train...and I never, but rarely drive on the highway. so 4.30's seem like my next mod for making the car faster...Because at my point theres not many bolt-ons that will do as much as 4.30's will...other than a supercharger or h/c/i. the rest of my bolt-on options wont do crap for my car but mabye like 1-2tenths.

heheh. i think somebody has road rage!!!:shrug: :mad:

anyways. you don't need 4:30's. thats way overkill for a street car. especially when you already have 4:10's. it's a waste of your time. save up and do a h/c/i. money much better spent that way!

Normal driving I'd say I usually shift at about 2800-3000. I can't stand it when people lug the **** out of a good sounding car. When I'm in it, it's a powershift right before the front end noses over. Stock tach indicates 6k but I'd say it's about 5500.