Where can I buy a rear main seal installer?

WilwoodFiveO

Oct 20, 2005
VA
My question is Where can I buy a rear main seal installer and get it quick? Is it a unversial tool or is special? I hope you guys can help me. I got everything else set up. I'm going home from college today and want to try to do this in a weekend. I already got the parts(oil pan gasket and rear main) comming to the ford dealer early sat morning and get a engine stand and everything. The installing tool is the only component I'm missing. Hopefully you all can help me out.

Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

All you really need is a very thin coat of black RTV, a socket that has the same outside diameter as the seal, and a ball peen or dead hammer. Put the flat side of the socket against the seal and tap it in evenly, all the way around.

Daggar said:
All you really need is a very thin coat of black RTV, a socket that has the same outside diameter as the seal, and a ball peen or dead hammer. Put the flat side of the socket against the seal and tap it in evenly, all the way around.

:Damnit: we posted at the same time ...... good advice though :rlaugh:

WilwoodFiveO said:
alright sweet guys, do u happen to know what size the socket is? Also when I'm pulling the old one I can just use a pick and some screwdrivers? Correct?

Just get like a 18mm socket or so and use that on a tiny piece of the RMS at a time. Work your way around the seal until it sits flush with the block. It will make sense once you do it.

Also, I ended up drilling two holes in the seal to remove it. I them put sheet metal screws in and used pliers to pull it out. The RMS is in there really well and it has a pretty thick piece of metal in it. Be very careful not to nick the crank whatever you do.

87'GTstang said:
Isn't the rear main seal roughly 4"-5" in diameter? The front timing cover seal I could understand being less than half of the rear..................

I was thinking the same thing...I was like where do you get a socket that size? 18wheeler 101 shop?

I just did mine using a rubber mallet and the old rear main seal. Some oil on the lip and tapped around the edges until it sat flush.

Debating on running a thin bead of RTV around the outside for extra protection. Not sure.

TheBocSez said:
I just did mine using a rubber mallet and the old rear main seal. Some oil on the lip and tapped around the edges until it sat flush.

Debating on running a thin bead of RTV around the outside for extra protection. Not sure.

The RTV serves more as a lubricant so that the seal goes in nice and easy, more than anything else. It has the added advantage of sealing up any tiny gaps in the process. The coat should be VERY thin. Most of it will be "squeegeed" out from the tight fitment. It's just a little extra insurance so that you don't end up having to pull the drivetrain out a second time because it didn't seal perfectly the first time.

Daggar said:
The RTV serves more as a lubricant so that the seal goes in nice and easy, more than anything else. It has the added advantage of sealing up any tiny gaps in the process. The coat should be VERY thin. Most of it will be "squeegeed" out from the tight fitment. It's just a little extra insurance so that you don't end up having to pull the drivetrain out a second time because it didn't seal perfectly the first time.

I just used oil like the instructions suggested. Should I pull it and get a new one and use RTV instead? The engine is out of the car and the seals arent that much. What do you think?

oh ya forgot to mention, my buddy works at ford, and we checked the shop manual and got the part number for the tool, turns out this ford dealer doesn't even stock this tool! we talked to a couple mechanics and they all said to either use a big socket o a rubber mallet.

TheBocSez said:
I just used oil like the instructions suggested. Should I pull it and get a new one and use RTV instead? The engine is out of the car and the seals arent that much. What do you think?

Your call man. The RTV is just a tip, not a requirement. Rear mains have been installed countless times without the RTV.

87'GTstang said:
Isn't the rear main seal roughly 4"-5" in diameter? The front timing cover seal I could understand being less than half of the rear..................

Good question.Where do you get a socket that big:shrug:.

Someone please clarify this.

8950HO said:
Good question.Where do you get a socket that big:shrug:.

Someone please clarify this.

I'm not sure I understand all the obsession with finding a socket that large. I believe that I got mine at Sears. I bought it to remove the lock nut from the hub on my old F-150 4x4 Ranger hub I've also seen them that large at Harbor Freight and many auto parts stores. You would probably be able to get one real cheap at a flea market or something. The point is that they're not difficult to find.