Where did you get your 302 long block and how much?

• Sponsors (?)

Historic,
I bought one of the Ford racing 345 HP 302's. It had no intake, but did have a water pump and balancer but both were for serpentine belts (WP runs backwards from a V-belt as you know). Had GT-40 aluminum heads and a flywheel. I was told that some came with flywheels and some with flexplates and that you never really knew what you were going to get. I find that hard to believe but regardless, I got a flywheel. I changed the front cover, flywheel and balancer and of course added an intake and distributor. So far, real happy with the performance and integrity of the engine. Cost around 3200 bucks and I got free shipping by truck. Bought from Powered by Ford on Orlando. Good people.

Outlaw

I got mine from an ebay auction. The builder's email is [email protected] and his name is Darl Mamau. The motor is rated at 328hp and has Comp Cams roller tip rockers, a 268H extreme energy cam, 351W heads (with some minor port- blending) with screw in studs, hardened pushrods, guideplates an Edelbrock intake and is new from top to bottom as well as balanced and comes with a 12 month warrantee all for $2695 to the door. I haven't fired it yet but am super-impressed with the quality and service of these guys.If you email them with a question, it's often answered within the hour, even on Saturdays. I chose it because all the crate motors I saw except the 320HP, Y303 head motor from Ford (which is no longer available according to their Tech line) will not accept an early intake and were several hundred dollars more money for the same horsepower. That's important to me since my car will be using an original Shelby 2x4 intake.

Is this for your wifes car? If so I would not spend the money on a performance build, just use one of the Autozone/Advanced long blocks. They should hold up just fine for street driving and cost about half as much as the base models from FRPP/Coast/DSS/etc., take the extra money and spend it on the TCP coil overs we all know you want for your track car...LOL.

Just kidding on that last bit Henry!

I bought a short block(roller 5.0 for a 90's pickup) done by City Motor Supply in Dallas Tx. thru a local parts house for $345 (exchanged) It had Silvolite Hyper pistons and except for the cheesy timing set and overtorqued rod bolts, everything else was top notch. After dogging on it daily for over a year ( changed the rod bolts to ARP's) and topping it with Canfield heads, then reving it to 7500 for three months, it cracked a cylinder wall. It was bored 40 over. For the price they sell em, you can't come close to building one yourself.

zookeeper said:
I chose it because all the crate motors I saw except the 320HP, Y303 head motor will not accept an early intake.
Say WHAT? Sounds like you got a line of :bs: sold to you! I'd like to hear the story behind that bit of info.FRPP motors will take a carb intake, as will all
5.0s; what's the deal?
--Kyle

Edbert said:
Is this for your wifes car? If so I would not spend the money on a performance build, just use one of the Autozone/Advanced long blocks. They should hold up just fine for street driving and cost about half as much as the base models from FRPP/Coast/DSS/etc., take the extra money and spend it on the TCP coil overs we all know you want for your track car...LOL.

Just kidding on that last bit Henry!

Ed B, funny..............I talked to a guy at work today who got a long block 350 from Advanced and he is well pleased. Paid $750 and only added water pump and throttle body. The 302's should be a little less expensive.

Yes, it is for the little lady's coupe.

Quick story, a few years back we ran two race weekends at Sebring only two weeks apart. As luck would have it, he blew his 289 the first weekend and with working 40 hours a week, etc he had to hop down to Advanced Auto Parks to get a rebuilt engine for the second weekend of racing. Hard to believe but he did finish the 3 hour Enduro race and kept the damn thing in the car for a few more events.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

5.0ina66 said:
Say WHAT? Sounds like you got a line of :bs: sold to you! I'd like to hear the story behind that bit of info.FRPP motors will take a carb intake, as will all
5.0s; what's the deal?
--Kyle
I never said you couldn't put a carb on a roller motor or any Ford crate motor. What I said was that after checking with several engine builders, including the tech line (not the BS line!) at FRPP, they all told me the same thing, that the intake ports are different height and size and will NOT work with early intakes. If you don't believe me, then do a bit of research and you'll find that the X303 heads take a different intake gasket due to different ports. As I originally posted (you guys did read it didn't you?:D ) I intend to use an original Shelby intake made in the mid '60's and need the heads and intake to be compatable with each other.http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=2601 Here's the link so you don't need to take my word for it. These heads are the ones that come on currently available 5.0 crate motors, and as it says, not all intakes will work. I research stuff to death before laying out my money, and when 100% of the engine builders thell me the same thing, I think they know what they're talking about.

You CAN port match an early intake to work with any aftermarket 302 head. The reason for the different gasket is the different size port, they're somewhat wider and taller than the original small block ports, but not so big that the older intakes don't cover them. I'm using a repro 3x2 with Canfield heads on my 331 and it worked just fine and I know that the Canfield ports are similar in size to X303 ports. Besides there's nothing wrong with a slightly smaller port on the intake that's fitting up to a slightly larger head port.

Thanks for the info Hearne. I suspected my combo might work, but when the guy selling it says it won't I had to take their word for it. I didn't want a cookie-cutter single 4 barrel, nor did I want to grind a rare intake to fit the ports. I'm also not going to race the car, so getting every last pony out of the motor at the expense of creating more headches wasn't what I was after so I chose the path of least resistance for the first time on this PITA car! Anyway, the bottom line is I think I'l be happy with my combo and I paid a fair price for it and that's what Historic was interested in in the first place.

zookeeper said:
Thanks for the info Hearne. I suspected my combo might work, but when the guy selling it says it won't I had to take their word for it. I didn't want a cookie-cutter single 4 barrel, nor did I want to grind a rare intake to fit the ports. I'm also not going to race the car, so getting every last pony out of the motor at the expense of creating more headches wasn't what I was after so I chose the path of least resistance for the first time on this PITA car! Anyway, the bottom line is I think I'l be happy with my combo and I paid a fair price for it and that's what Historic was interested in in the first place.
If you want to port match the intake, Mustangs Unlimited sells a copy of your 2x4 intake for around $350, just swap the carbs and linkage to it.:D Glad to see there's someone else out here that's not been scared off by stories of multiple carbs being hard to keep tuned.:rlaugh:

I know what you mean about multi-carb set-ups being black magic in some people's minds. For the life of me, I don't know why except that some people never take the time to get them right in the first place. I've had several bikes with four carbs and about once a year I'd hook them up to a manometer to make sure they were still pulling the same vacuum. They usually took a turn of a screwdriver here and there, but I can't honestly say the bike ever ran any better. But I've always loved being different (not different enough to want a Nash Metropolitan or a Gremlin, tho) and think the 2x4 intake will fit right in the "look" I'm going for with my clone. Or maybe not...:D

With my now daily drive to work in the Ranger with the 3 carbed 331, I'm constantly amazed at how much power this thing makes, while using so little "pedal". Just this morning ( 3-4am) I was coming back from work ( deserted 2 lane backroad highway) and let her rip, giving it the slightest pedal, gradually and this thing EFFORTLESSLY will go up to 100+ mph and still not getting far into the secondary carbs ( or so it feels and sounds) I will hate to park it when the new 06 Stang arrives to take the Ranger's place.