Where disconnect hoses for rear end removal

MN_Stang

Mar 31, 2017
I am about to remove my original rear end on an '82 GT and haven't been able to find details in posts/videos. They usually just quickly say "disconnect brake line" and "disconnect emergency brake", but usually don't show that step or where the best disconnection point actually is.

If anyone has feedback or knows of a link that shows where to best disconnect the brake line on these older cars, that would be greatly appreciated. Or, if easier to describe, I've attached a photo of a couple options of where it seems I could disconnect the brake line.

Also appreciate any advice on disconnecting the e-brake.

I am taking it out to make room to weld in torque box reinforcements. I will install new bushings while I've got it off and replace the same rear end (will someday upgrade to 8.8).

Thanks a lot for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_6982_sm.jpg
    IMG_6982_sm.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_6978_sm.jpg
    IMG_6978_sm.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Sponsors (?)

Brake line first: where the rubber hose connects to the hard line at the body. Clean the crud off as best you can, use line wrenches that fit tight, penetrating spray like blaster may help, let sit over night, I would get a new flex line for the rear brakes, yours is likely original, then you could just cut the old flex line allowing the use of a box wrench for the fitting removal.
park brake cables: 2 options
pull the drum and disconnect it at the brake shoe lever and pull it out the backing plate, this works good if your are replacing the shoes and hardware anyway or find the cable connection farther toward the adjuster and then remove the clip where the cable sheath mounts to the body, it usually a hair pin type clip

Thank you for the thorough response! Much appreciated! Just so I'm clear on the point where the soft line meets the hard, does that look like that's option B or C in the photo I posted?

I typically change rear ends and leave the brakes connected. Remove the diff cover and drain the oil. Remove the cross pin bolt and cross pin. Push the axles in and remove the c clips. Then remove the axle shafts. Then remove the backing plates, hang them up by some wire and remove the housing. You should have removed the brake line t fitting at the top of the diff when your removed the cover, so the entire brake system is clear of the rear axle housing.

Then install the new housing and reinstall the brakes. This leaves both the hydraulics and the ebrake cables in place. Much better If you wife does not like to bleed brakes....