where is the eec relay on our cars?

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
Searched but can't find anything. All i get is for the older stangs under the seat or something. I heard someone talking about behind the pass. side kickpanel and once i think I remember someone saying something about it being in that box wedged between the coolant overflow resevoir? Just want to make sure before I start ripping stuff apart.

I checked like 9 parts stores and no one here carrys a noid light, so I figure I might as well knock one thing off my list while I'm searching.

• Sponsors (?)

YellowStang1994,

No one has answered because you've given incomplete information.

There is nothing exactly called "eec relay" in our cars.

EEC stands for Electronic Engine Control, which is the version of computer controls that a particular Ford uses to control the engine and the transmission. Our cars use EEC-IV.

Those controls are housed in the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) which is the car's main computer. In our cars, the PCM is located behind the passsenger side kick panel. It's a big sealed aluminum box.

"That box wedged between the coolant overflow resevoir" that you refer to is the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module). I houses the fan relays and also the fuel pump relay if I rember correctly.

Hope that helps.

The EEC relay on a fox is above the puter in the kick panel. I havent broken out schematics to check if/where it is on a 5N95.

Good luck.

Just checked the schematics - we do have one (you had to figure we did, but I dont assume a whole lot). I couldnt tell you where it physically is, but it makes logistical sense to have it right in the vacinity of the computer, so I would look in that area.

Good luck.

Courtesy of S&2B's (site host) and Tom Moss (diagram author) is this diagram.

Upper left hand corner has what you are seeking. The EEC relay supplies VREF to the various engine management systems, solenoids and sensors.

I don't exactly know where it is at ... but I might can help you pinpoint something.

There will be a large wire coming from it (directly connected to the battery side of the starter). This large wire is most likey yellow. Then there are probably multiple red wires going to it. There should be a red/light green wire also (coming from ignition switch). Test this wire with a VM with the ignition switch "ON". If it has ~12V and everything fits the above description, you have the EEC relay.

In addition to Justin's comments (looks like he is talking about the feed to the EEC relay), if you have 12 volts at the injectors or any of your sensors, the relay is working.

Thanks so much guys. I can't explain how much this has all helped me out. The wiring diagram provides so much light now in helping me trace down this electrical problem and all the explanations.

Thanks again!

Yea, my injectors aren't getting power. DOH!!! I have the kick panel off, but it must be really up there because i'm having trouble locating it. I'll find it eventually, and hopefully it is just the relay... because i'm not getting power to anything ignition or fuel related, and probably not anything else.

what you can check is where the 12v source for the injectors comes into the engine compartment. the connector is the big square one in the passenger rear, behind the strut tower. its pin #9, its a solid red wire and there should be 12v there with koeo. if u have power there but no power to injectors then there is a break in the wire in that injector harness. this same 12v wire also supplies the iac and purge canister solenoid with 12v. my diagram isn't showing the eec relay location but shows the color wires if u need that info. could the eec relay be in the power distribution box under the hood? i cant remember, if i was home now i would check the manual, i know it gives the description of every fuse location and what circuits the fuse is on and location of relays. i'll have to check tomorrow, its driving me crazy now.

I was diggin through schematics and it looks like the EEC relay has to do with the CCRM. It would make sense that the EEC relay is part of the CCRM but I cannot confirm that.

Cobra guy posted while I was diggin through the factory manual.