Engine Where To Get Gt40p Heads

GalacticPonage

Jun 21, 2016
New Jersey
So I've decided do go for some gt40ps. Based on the research ive done it seems like the most reliable/cheapest head to worl my daily driver fox into the 12s as I build up the supporting mods and the rest of the car. My question now is wheres the best place to get them? Ive called the junkyards in my local area and explorers/mountaineers of the right years are hard to find with the heads still on them and in decent shape. Ive got a buddy tgat works at a machine shop and he said that they dont even really want to mess with some old gt40 stuff and it would be abput $400 to have them looked over, decked, and valves done. With that being said i dont really want to deal with used junkyard parts and im leaning towards getting the refurbished gt40ps off lmr for 650 to save the headache and ill know theyll work. The problem is that they sell the heads with springs only rated to handle the stock HO cam. With better springs it would be 800-850 for P-heads which seems like alot so id like to hear some second opinions befpre i take that approach

• Sponsors (?)

I came to the conclusion that if I was going to spend $800 refurbinh a set of 40ps, I could skip coffee for a month and just pick up TFS tW heads for $1200.

i have a set of 40ps currently being used as a door prop. Can't even offload them locally for $100. Nobody seems to want them any more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I found some at my local pull a part, $150 for heads and intakes from 1999 Explorer. I guess I got lucky on my timing, there were around 10 Explorers there with a 5.0, all were already gone until we got to the last one in the back row that were still on it. Can get a proper spring set for an E cam from Summit for like $180 I think.

Try looking for someone who is offloading a set of fixed up ones when they upgrade. I sold my gt40's for $400.

Decked, valve job, Springs and ported, with about 8k miles on them.

Joe