Where to go for a heater core replacement (Portland)?

HaynStang

Dec 16, 2006
Portland
So the weather seems to be cooling down fast here in the NW. I'm thinking it would be nice to get my non-functioning heater core replaced before it gets really cold. :D But I hear this is a pretty involved repair and I don't think I want to mess with it myself. Where is a good place to take it that doesn't charge too much? And what does a new heater core usually run... is it usually like a $400-500 repair or do you think I could get it done for around $200-300?

It's a '91 Mustang and I'm in Portland, but I would go anywhere nearby like Beaverton, Vancouver, etc if there's a shop you guys can reccomend that will do a good job and hopefully not charge an arm and a leg. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I take all my stuff to krazy koncepts in beverton, they know there stuff. I have heard that you must remove the dash which is a pain in the fox bodys. or so i have heard

Yeah that's the part I don't want to mess with... lol... I hate taking apart interiors. It was enough of a pain to put my CD player in the car so I don't really think removing the whole dash is gonna be a fun experience.

I will definately check them out though, thanks for the suggestion.

First time i did one was in a 1 car garage at a apt complex, took 10hrs! I couldn't even open the doors all the way....:notnice: Take it to Krazy Koncepts:D

-edit- I hear Eric loves doing heatercores!!! ;-)

Heater Core, pain in the a$$

Unless you have lot's of time, have someone else do it! It's a pain in the ass, If your car dosen't have air cond. I hear that it's not that bad, but if you have air the whole dash has to be peeled away from the firewall, seats removed, steering colum dropped to the floor, console taken out, basicaly it sucks!!!!
No wonder the dealer want's $800.00- $900.00 for this job.
A friend of mine did mine 2 weeks ago, up here in the Seattle area for $300.00 + parts.
When you buy parts, make sure you buy a Ford OEM heater core,and new hoses,
Don't by the cheap crap, you want something that will last more than a year or so,
I bought Ford parts and the cost was like $82.00
I have pics of my car torn apart,

saleenheatercore4.jpg

saleenheatercore3.jpg

saleenheatercore1.jpg

saleenheatercore2.jpg

Here is how it looks after

2007_0429_141630AA.jpg

2007_0429_141526AA-1.jpg

Good Luck
Bill

Attachments

• saleenheatercore4.jpg
    saleenheatercore4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 67
  • saleenheatercore3.jpg
    saleenheatercore3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 83
  • saleenheatercore1.jpg
    saleenheatercore1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 80
  • saleenheatercore2.jpg
    saleenheatercore2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 65
  • 2007_0429_141630AA.jpg
    2007_0429_141630AA.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 2007_0429_141526AA-1.jpg
    2007_0429_141526AA-1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 64
Did it. Hated it. Book said 7 hours. And I timed myself. Guess what, took 7 hours on the nose. But if you don't have a/c it becomes much easier. I turned myself into a chinese circus freak and went after it. But when I put it all back together, some things did not work properly. Had to take it out again to find out what plugs I forgot to plug back in correctly. MARK EVERYTHING WITH TAGS OR USE COLORED ZIP TIES AND A LEGEND. That is the only thing that saved me from shooting myself in the head. Do it yourself and save a lot of money. Money you could use towards a Nitrous kit. When you screw it up, then take it to KKP. :)

Just like you can see in the above photos, the procedure requires that you drop the dash into the front seats after relieving the steering column from its mount. At that point, the core change is really easy. I did mine in an afternoon.

Do it yourself. Ultimately, you will be better for it both monetarily and with the knowledge and skill you will have obtained.

Good luck,

JT