• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Drivetrain Where to place jackstands when servicing rear diff

  • Thread starter Thread starter dqureshi06
  • Start date Start date Oct 16, 2025
D

dqureshi06

Active Member
Mar 25, 2024
102
21
28
Virginia
Oct 16, 2025
#1
  • Oct 16, 2025
  • #1
I’m going to change the clutch packs in my 8.8 rear end soon and I wanted to know if I can have jackstands on the axle tubes since I know that I need to push both axles slightly in to remove the c clips.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,396
21,602
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 16, 2025
#2
  • Oct 16, 2025
  • #2
Yes. That's perfect.
 
D

dqureshi06

Active Member
Mar 25, 2024
102
21
28
Virginia
Oct 16, 2025
#3
  • Oct 16, 2025
  • #3
Noobz347 said:
Yes. That's perfect.
Click to expand...
Will the c clips still be able to come out and will I be able to move the axles back and fourth without resistance?
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,396
21,602
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 16, 2025
#4
  • Oct 16, 2025
  • #4
The axle tubes are not going to flex, if that's what you're thinking.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,253
183
Claremore, OK
Oct 17, 2025
#5
  • Oct 17, 2025
  • #5
Good video on the whole thing and he has the car on a lift so you can really see what is going on. Just me but I would pull the sway bar as it makes all of this a lot easier when supporting the rear end with jack stands via the axle tubes.

View: https://youtu.be/q80HHZu1RN8?si=YzFDWZz8dKzSQras
 
Reactions: General karthief

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,335
18,060
224
Massachusetts
Oct 18, 2025
#6
  • Oct 18, 2025
  • #6
I do it all the time. Have had the axles apart a few times with the jackstands on the tubes.

For a little more clearance I usually put the axles on jackstands, and then jack the body up a little and put another set of jackstands under the rear subframe. Gives me a little more clearance to work.
 
Reactions: Rcdgl, slow84lx, General karthief and 1 other person

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,253
183
Claremore, OK
Oct 18, 2025
#7
  • Oct 18, 2025
  • #7
All these years of working on this damn car and not once did I think about doing that.
 
Reactions: DadLife0724 and Noobz347

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,335
18,060
224
Massachusetts
Oct 18, 2025
#8
  • Oct 18, 2025
  • #8
You know what else I only recently learned about?

When working under the hood of an SUV/truck or if you just want extra reach like when doing spark plugs….back the rear wheels up a set of ramps.
 
Reactions: slow84lx, General karthief and DadLife0724

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,253
183
Claremore, OK
Oct 18, 2025
#9
  • Oct 18, 2025
  • #9
Ha ha ha!!! Damn you….
 
Reactions: DadLife0724

89notchDude

Active Member
Apr 11, 2022
84
42
28
central NJ
Oct 23, 2025
#10
  • Oct 23, 2025
  • #10
While we're at it, when I dropped in my 302 w/ t5 attached, I raised the rear pretty high up so the tail shaft of the trans would slide right into the trans tunnel and effectively lowering the front rad support.
 
Reactions: DadLife0724, limp and General karthief

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,501
2,922
173
Florida
Nov 2, 2025
#11
  • Nov 2, 2025
  • #11
89notchDude said:
While we're at it, when I dropped in my 302 w/ t5 attached, I raised the rear pretty high up so the tail shaft of the trans would slide right into the trans tunnel and effectively lowering the front rad support.
Click to expand...
I learned this trick recently myself and it works well..
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

D
Drivetrain car still rolling while in gear and off
  • dqureshi06
  • Jan 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
267
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 24, 2026
General karthief
Resolved Anyway, to tell where this rear end came from based on this picture?
  • x_man586
  • Jun 7, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
221
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 7, 2025
x_man586
J
2004 Mustang 3.8L V6 vibrations above 65 MPH and differential leaks
  • joeybuddy96
  • Mar 16, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
848
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Aug 29, 2026
joeybuddy96
J
9
Engine Donor '00 Mountaineer meet '91 Fox
  • 91firecracker
  • May 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
41
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 28, 2026
91firecracker
9
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
567
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?