Where to purchase a Decent 5.0...

TnPaulMan

Feb 5, 2004
Hey guys,

I am relatively new at the whole Mustang thing but I have been wanting one for almost 10 years. I am in college right now and I figure that I have time and don't need to go anywhere so now is as good as time as ever to get into a Fox Mustang.

All I need to know is where is a good resource for picking one up and or how much is a fair price? I am looking for a GT and a five speed.

Thanks,

Paul

• Sponsors (?)

www.autotrader.com

That's where I got mine. Once I found what I was looking for, I printed out the fair market value off Kelley's blue book, edmunds and one other that I can't remember and used that as my negotiating tool. Also got a carfax account - there are plenty of bad eggs out there. The guy I bought mine from was asking $4500, and with the blue book stuff, I got it for $3,700.

I also sold a car on autotrader.com within 3 days.

Howard

I have to say I bought mine at a car lot by my house. The day a truck totalled my old car, I was riding home and it showed up there that day, I guess it was ment to be. It was right when GM and Ford started thier 60mo. 0% interest, 0 down thing so no cars were selling off these lots, so I used that as my bargaining tool. They were selling it for $5900, reduced to $5300, I got it for $4800, the other guys insurance company gave me $5200, after taxes I drove out of there with $100 left over, bought underdrive pullies with it. :banana:

When looking for a car, check body lines and how the panels line up. Watch out with cars with recently new paint jobs. Look under for parts that are not consistant with the age of the vehicles. I wouldn't buy someone elses project, so stock is the best.

I also found mine off Kelly's Blue book. You can search for any make and model in a radius near you. I searched for a 30 miles radius near my house, and found a 1990 GT 3 miles away. It was at some Chrystler dealership. I was shocked to find it so close to my house... talked them down to $5,400 they originally wanted $7,000. Now i'm rollin in the stang.

Before you buy, check under if for cracks arount the tq boxes and floorboards. Taking to an independent shop of your choice and having them do an inspection be a technician is also a very good idea if you really don't know what to look for.

Where do you live? I found mine in my local want adds. I bought a 93 ( I mean I stole a 93) With 18,900 miles on it for 6200!! All it needed was some luvin & elbow grease.Dude,the car is sweet!! Look around and take your time,there's a ton of 5.0's out there.And most of all,have "FUN" with it!!

The best trick to finding a mustang is look at a lot of them. Drive a lot of them. And wait. eventually one will come along that you just have to have and that is your mustang. I have actually found 2 perfect mustangs that way. I got lucky both times and stole it from the person who was selling it.

Hey guys, sorry to taking such a long time to respond.

Wow and thanks for all the info. I am definately getting a Stang sometime this summer. So it seems that patience is going to be the key for me finding the right one.

I will definately keep you guys in touch and learn as much as I can. Feel free to let me know when ever you see a place that has a ton. My AIM is TnPaulMan.

As far as NJ, I don't know why there are a ton there, must be something having to do with Bon Jovi or The Boss. Seems I will be looking there for sure.

Thanks again.

Paul