Which air filter to buy?

• Sponsors (?)

CottonBurnerz said:
I decided to get rid of the stock paper for something else.. I know that many people use k&n filter. Is there any other filter that I should look into? I'm not interested in cold air intake. Just the filter. Any recommendations? Also, where is a good place to get one? Thanks
look at the accel blue filter or just a Steeda Cold air kit.

CottonBurnerz said:
Speaking of which, how much do stock paper filter last? Mine looks pretty dirty but it only has 4600 miles on it.

What else will I need with K&N filter if I buy one? I read something about recharge kit? Is that what I have to buy when I want to clean it? :shrug:

Where's the best place to buy the filter?

You need the recharge kit to clean it. I got mine from autozone... :nice:

CottonBurnerz said:
Speaking of which, how much do stock paper filter last? Mine looks pretty dirty but it only has 4600 miles on it.

What else will I need with K&N filter if I buy one? I read something about recharge kit? Is that what I have to buy when I want to clean it? :shrug:

Where's the best place to buy the filter?

all u need is the filter. the recharge kit is like $10. u only need that for when u clean it out. u can get the K&N at autozone, pep boys, where ever. stock filters are good for about 15K. i like the K&N since even though it may not give u that great of gains, u can reuse it and clean it so u never really need to buy a new filter. economically, it makes sense to me.

CottonBurnerz said:
I decided to get rid of the stock paper for something else.. I know that many people use k&n filter. Is there any other filter that I should look into? I'm not interested in cold air intake. Just the filter. Any recommendations? Also, where is a good place to get one? Thanks

anyway, i'd recommend the FIPK if you want cai.. there will be a group purchase my friend is doing. should be around $180 for the whole kit. I'll IM you when he tells me more..

Stick with a paper filter and replace it every 5,000 miles.

I'm a K&N athiest. I don't believe in them for daily driving. There are tons of claims of how much better K&N filters are, and there are tons of claims how much dirt they let through. I don't have the lab set up to prove or disprove any of this, and I don't race my daily driver so I take the conservative stand. I remember reading some K&N literature back in the late 80s and their data showed that the K&N and stock paper filters had equal airflow when new. The airflow of the paper filter started dropping after three months of normal use and the K&N remained high. So I figured I'll use a new paper filter every three months and not risk extra dust in my engine.

Not flaming ya chevylover, but the trueflow listed above is a foam filter - I thought foam filters were supposed to suck? :shrug:
K&N on the 01, paper on the 02 (gave away the OEM sized K&N when I bought the C&L MAF kit) :bang:

i only use paper filters also. i live near the beach and fine particle silica (sand) is a problem. if you hold a k&n and a paper filter up to the light in an auto parts store you can see the difference. i'm willing to sacrifice 0 to 4 hp to filter smaller micron particles.