which alum heads are a close to stock bolt on?

Migth end up with a bit more cash then I expected come tax time.

Thinking I 'might' go for a set of aluminum heads. The weight reduction off the front is a good thing too... :shrug:

I'm wondering... Are there any that are a stock replacement bolt on as far as not having to change pushrod length etc... If you wanted to.

IF I go aluminums, I was thinking this combo:

Edelbrock Performer EFI intake & 24lb injectors,
Either AFR 165s out of the box or Edelbrock Performer 60379s [the 1.90/1.60, pedestal rockers],
Stock cam and some 1.7 or 1.72 rockers.

What do you guys think?? Opinions on either head? Is there a better alum head considering I am set on staying with the stock camshaft and just adding 1.7s?

• Sponsors (?)

if u keep it a 302, the 165's will do you justice, if plans are to up your storke get the 185's, but fyi if you put the 185's u will need to notch ur pistons, and make sure u upgrade ur springs to .600 !! Plus u will feel a loss of low end tq but after 3k good bye !! but u'll love the 165's on ur 302 !!

Thanks alot for the responses!

My plans for now are to stick with the stock camshaft and just do a 1.7 or 1.72 rocker. For a few reasons:
1st reason is liking the smooth idle and the fact that its gonna get a full rebuild next winter anyways so why spend $$$ and tear the shortblock somehwat apart now.. along with my being intruiged with seeing how far the stock cam will take me ET wise.. with no adders.
But the biggest reason is Emissions is getting really stupid around here. They had a roadside sniffer and inspection station setup last fall, a mile up the freakin road from Toronto Motorsports park. :mad: and as people were leaving at the end of the day, smog coppers were nailing not only all the cars, but tow vehicles as well. :notnice:

SO... It has to pass emissions... I know some do it with the "E" or other custom smog friendly grinds, but i'm not ripping the bottom end apart at all until I rebuild, likely next winter. At which point i'd probably give Ed Curtis a call for one of his camshafts.

I figured the AFR 165s were better. What I want to know is, are EITHER of the heads a fairly straight forward bolt on as far as not having to change pushrod length [I AM going to buy hardened ones] and using stock valve covers, headers etc...???

Like, lets say I bought the Edel Performers, or AFR 165s, some 1.72 rockers, could I order some stock length hardened pushrods, my ARP bolts, and gaskets etc, take the baffles out of my stock valve covers [along with some grinding if I have to] to clear the rockers and put em on?

I ask because in the Summitt Catalogue, it states for Trick Flow heads that you need different length pushrods and stuff.

Also who has the best deal on the AFR 165s?

I am more then pleased with my afr's.I used my stock pushrods and valve covers with 1.7 rockers and an e-cam and all I did was remove the baffles and I dont have any clearance problems.And as far as bolting them on it is just like any other head I used all the felpro gaskets afr recomended and arp bolts and did not hav eany problems putting them on or getting anything to line up.If you go with the 165's make sure the valve springs will wupport the cam you put in I mad ethe mistake of not looking into mine and now I have to change the valve springs due to valve float.And you can always check ebay I got mine on there for 1100 brand new which isn't the best deal but if you watch I am sure you could find a better one.

90whitepony said:
I am more then pleased with my afr's.I used my stock pushrods and valve covers with 1.7 rockers and an e-cam and all I did was remove the baffles and I dont have any clearance problems.

Do you have the pedestal mount or stud mount rockers?

Wait - you said stock pushrods......that would mean pedestal mount - or did you mean stock length pushrods?

REally?

Any of you AFR guys been told the same thing? I wouldn't put that many miles on it in one or two summers.. BUT... I drive my car daily... roadtrips, etc.. from April to November each year, and It wouldn't take me all that long to wrack up 65000 KMs [40000 miles]...

Kinda weird if a set of them can't go 40-50000 miles b4 needing a freshening up.. :shrug:

stangin it said:
The edelbrocks are the best for the price they are not that far off from the AFR's we are talking about 10hp difference. Its all in the H/C/I combo.
agree quality is also way better than the others for the price.

and if yoy think about it the pro-topline heads actually own the afr's in every version now. they flow way better than the afr's but will cost you way more too.