Which exhaust with Stock H?

McQuick

Feb 16, 2004
ohio
Which exhaust setup?

Which exhaust do you think would be the sound the best with the stock h slp lm I, slp lm II, magnapack, or other? And what midpipes? I dont want it real loud though but louder then stock.

And which exhaust setup will I gain the most hp from?

Thanks
McQuick

• Sponsors (?)

I second the borla stinger.

you need to pick a louder catback for sure. If you buy a normal catback with the stock midepipe you will barely hear the difference.

I have not heard the loudmouth II yet. you can find soundclips of the others easy.

as for hp I think they all will be similar. they are all strait through mufflers with mandrel bent 2.5 tubing. I would go with what you like the sound of.

1992 2.3LX said:
why no aftermarket midpipe???????

my UPR O/R X sounded sweet with the stock catback and is way cheaper than a catback. plus you pickup noticable power unlike the catback.

i concur. Aftermarket mid-pipe will make alot more difference sound and performance wise than a catback will. As far as those 3 you listed above stay away from SLP it sounds like obnoxious crap. My buddy has the magnapacks they sound pretty good get a little raspy up top though nice tone down low though. Stingers are pretty good to my preference is the magnapacks out of all the straight through mufflers though. All will give you very similiar performance gains like somebody mentioned above.

slvrgt said:
http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0EPYRFAZSXC0Z0UGQ0M7UKLY46

thats a sound clip of the delta 40's with a mac off road H its LOUD but i think it sound awsome-IMO

You can also look at the video in my sig for the same setup. First part of the clip is with just the American Thunder catback which has the delta 40's then the second part is with the addition of the MAC O/R H-pipe.

I dont care what anyone says, I have an O/R H Pipe with SLP Loudmouth I catback, and it is obnoxious, but it sounds good, there is some pop when downshifting, but when you get on it, i cant even begin to explain how amazing the sound it, ive been told my car sounds like a nascar....

Well if you do not want to get an aftermarket mid=pipe later on I would either get the Borla Stingers. They are loud enough to get attention with the stock mid-pipe and sound fantastic imo.

They may be a bit loud for some when you get a mid-pipe but I think I can handle it :)

I am not a huge fan of SLP, the sound is ok but you cant beat the price for Stainless Steel. The Magnapacks are niec too and descent price. Bassani is awesome but a tad expensive.

Give Me TP said:

Amazing you say bull**** normally when people say that they give a reason as to why they think its bull**** which you gave none of. Please dont try and argue with me about my own personal opinion of SLP because anything u say it wont make a difference. A mid-pipe will make a much bigger difference in power and sound than a catback will and yes catbacks barely make any difference no matter what one u get. You are looking at 5 hp maybe difference between two mufflers.

Sick96Stang said:
Amazing you say bull**** normally when people say that they give a reason as to why they think its bull**** which you gave none of. Please dont try and argue with me about my own personal opinion of SLP because anything u say it wont make a difference. A mid-pipe will make a much bigger difference in power and sound than a catback will and yes catbacks barely make any difference no matter what one u get. You are looking at 5 hp maybe difference between two mufflers.

"Obnoxious crap" is a pathetic summation of an excellent fitting and sounding product made by SLP from someone who doesn't have it themselves. In other words, a bulls**t statement which you have here correctly identified as opinion rather than fact.

Sick96Stang said:

If you are talking about a minimal difference in hp gained between similar aftermarket catbacks, then you are correct. But if you are saying that is the case between a MagnaFlow or Borla catback versus stock, then no way - a catback with straight-through mufflers and mandrel-bent tubing will give you more performance gain than pretty much any type of aftermarket midpipe.

Give Me TP said:
"Obnoxious crap" is a pathetic summation of an excellent fitting and sounding product made by SLP from someone who doesn't have it themselves. In other words, a bulls**t statement which you have here correctly identified as opinion rather than fact.

so I have to have an exhaust to have an opinion on how it sounds? I've heard SLP before in real life and think it sounds like crap are you going to argue with me and tell me that my own opinion of how an exhaust sounds is wrong? I'd really like to see some evidence proving that SLP doesnt sound like obnoxious crap I guarantee you that you cant find any. You know why that is because its an opinion so stop trying to argue with me about my opinion of SLP.

green67 said:
If you are talking about a minimal difference in hp gained between similar aftermarket catbacks, then you are correct. But if you are saying that is the case between a MagnaFlow or Borla catback versus stock, then no way - a catback with straight-through mufflers and mandrel-bent tubing will give you more performance gain than pretty much any type of aftermarket midpipe.

Obviously I'm not talking about a stock catback vs an aftermarket catback. I'm saying there is minimal difference between the aftermarket catbacks. Ok there is no way a catback is going to give you more horsepower gains than an O/R mid-pipe, NO WAY. You put on a Borla or whatever catback onto a car with a stock H-pipe and dyno it. Then pull of the stock H put an O/R H or X on there and put the stock catback on and see which pulls higher results I guarantee you the stock catback with O/R midpipe will see better results.

and by the way, sick96stang is correct. An aftermarket midpipe will give more gain than an aftermarket CB. This is obviously because the stock mid-pipe...with 4-6 cats, is much more restrictive than the stock catback. So obviously, replacing the more restrictive part will yield better gains.

Skidzz said:
and by the way, sick96stang is correct. An aftermarket midpipe will give more gain than an aftermarket CB. This is obviously because the stock mid-pipe...with 4-6 cats, is much more restrictive than the stock catback. So obviously, replacing the more restrictive part will yield better gains.

i also agree with that. dont forget you're eliminating those restrictive cats, plus youre going from 2.25" to 2.5" piping.