Which gears?

OH1Snake

Aug 3, 2004
I have an 01 Cobra, it's lightly modded and it's my daily driver. I don't take it to the track, but I have been known to run down a ricer or two! I feel it's time to change the rear gear ratio, so what is my best choice, 3.73's or 4.10's or any other ratio? And why would you pick one over the other?
Thanks in advance for your input and help.

• Sponsors (?)

Most everyone is going to tell you go with 4:10's for a 4V motor. I am one of them.

If you don't ever planning on super/turbocharging, you may want to consider 4:30's. However, 4:10's really are the best choice.

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate your input. Now just have to find a show that will do the work for a reasonable price. One shop quoted me $79.00/hr and estimated 9 to 10 hrs to get it done. This is without the cost of the gears!!! Anybody know of a shop in the Chicago or Northern Illinois area that they can recommend!!

OH1Snake said:
Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate your input. Now just have to find a show that will do the work for a reasonable price. One shop quoted me $79.00/hr and estimated 9 to 10 hrs to get it done. This is without the cost of the gears!!! Anybody know of a shop in the Chicago or Northern Illinois area that they can recommend!!
9 to 10 hours, are you kidding me.:( Do not go there. Most places will charge anywhere from $250 to $350. Do not go to that other place, they are trying to rape you. Gears should be around $200. Total cost should be around $500 with install.:nice:

Yeah, that shop doesn't know how to do a set of gears...The IRS is a little more trouble because it pretty much has to be dropped down to do the gears on them but it's nowhere near 9-10 hours...For an IRS it should only be about $400 max...I had my gears installed for $225 in my solid rear...