Which Gears

• Sponsors (?)

Is that 40 miles round trip, or each way?

Gas mileage depends on your driving style alot. Some people have managed to maintain near the same MPG they were getting prior to their hear swap. I was able to knock down 23-25mpg on the interstate, even in the hills crusing around 80mph for a while.

If your car is a 2001 1/2 or newer you will have the T-3650 transmission and your fith gear is a little better for cruising, especially with higher gears.

If you are stuck inbetween I would suggest Motive 3.90's. They are a good compromise.

If you are going 3.73's or 4.10's everyone is going to suggest Ford gears. However, there is nothing wrong with Richmonds (some people claim they are a little noisy).

Drive 40 miles a day to work and not sure if I want 3.73 or 4.10's. What kind of gas milage willI get with 4.10's? Do I use Ford or Richmond gears?:shrug:
I have 4.10's in my auto but you will find with most manual transmissions you will not wanna go over 3.73's or possibly 3.55's especially with the price of gas today. I can tell you that SOTP fun goes up with the steeper gears but I have gone thru upwards of $120 a week in gas using my car as a DD. Now I use my Mitsubishi beater and use $40 a week in gas and only use the Stang for meets and and special occasions. JMHO.

Keep the stock gears. Save money and keep traction. Gears are only good if you get some cams to take you higher in the rpm range. I ran better times in my 98 with stock 2.73 gears than with my 3.73 gears.

Keep the stock gears. Save money and keep traction. Gears are only good if you get some cams to take you higher in the rpm range. I ran better times in my 98 with stock 2.73 gears than with my 3.73 gears.

I cut 2/10ths off my 1/8th and 1/4 mile times by switching to 4.10's only.

A cammed car can take even more advantage of gears, but even a stock car will. It takes a freaking hour to get into the 4.6's powerband with stock gears.

Plus to me, the fun factor of 4.10's was huge. It still is and they have been in almost a year.

yea i agree with everyone else. I would say 3.73s i love mine. kinda wanted to try 4.10s though a while back but im glad i didnt i would never be able to shift fast enough on the juice. 3.73s are a great gear for highway i still get about 24mpg doing around 75. gets you into the powerband faster