Engine Which nuts to remove to adjust steering wheel shaft after header steering knuckle rub?

silverlx50

15 Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
So I put solid motor mounts in and got both seated to less then 1/8" which is much better then I was able to do with the poly mounts. (Drivers side was previously about 1" too high in the K member)

I do have a very slight rub from the steering shaft joint on my BBK equal length shorty header. I read you can loosen a couple nuts under the dash for the steering column /shaft and move the shaft slightly away but Im not sure which nuts those are. Can anyone take a pic and post which nuts need to he loosened?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the underdash panel and you’ll see them. They are on the column bolting it to the structure.,

Loosen then and shift column to try to gain clearance.

Also the column expands/contracts so that might be a way to get some extra clearance.

Finally, you can dimple header

So here is a pic of the nuts that need to come off. They allow you to remove the hood release bracket and the nuts under that are the ones that if loosened, allow horizontal steering column movement. I moved it to the drivers side and the rub got worse. I moved it to the passenger side and it gave me about 1/4" to 1/3" of movement away from my header. I attached pics of the nuts and the room I got after the adjustment. It went from rubbing to this extra space so no more rubbing! Takes 10 mins!

20191014_153457.jpg
20191014_152111.jpg

Trim pieces take a 8mm socket and the nuts are 9/16.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Car def isnt a show car, Im not totally against that idea but this super easy. Besides, my luck.is Id somehow slip off the header and punch a he in the oil pan...

Easiest to pull the header.

I had to do this when my MM steering shaft contacted my headers. Adjusting the steering shaft didn't fix it, so I marked the "zone", took the header off the car, and used a 36mm socket and hammer to make a nice, round dimple in the header. It actually looks clean and like it was meant to be there.

Def use a socket to get a nice rounded edge, and not randomly bash